Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2862ac as mesh root with VigorAP 802 as a mesh node

• joeyboygolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Nov 2020 19:51 #1 by joeyboygolf
When I attempt to setup my newly aquired 802 as a mesh node with my 2862 I get Authentication error. What am I doing wrong?
The 2862 is downstairs in my office and the 802 is upstairs in the bedroom.

I'm getting a bit further now that I have inserted the correct password in the AP section of the 2862 dashboard. Now the Wireless app says "wait while the AP IP address is aquired" and I am still waiting!

I just found the DrayTek UK (up to now I have been using DrayTek.com) site and the latest 2862 firmware 3.9.4.1 which has mesh compatibility with the 802 and a mesh wizard! Maybe this will work for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• joeyboygolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Nov 2020 17:21 #2 by joeyboygolf
UK support have sent me beta firmware for the Vigo2862ac and the AP802. The mesh is now set up and working but the last thing that the Wireless app displayed was "Authentication failed".

Wifi completely disappears at random intervals with "authentication problem" when working in the vicinity of the mesh node and it is a real struggle to get it back on. I am hoping for better from the support engineer but he seems to have gone quiet!

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Nov 2020 00:48 #3 by hornbyp

joeyboygolf wrote:
UK support have sent me beta firmware for the Vigo2862ac and the AP802...

Wifi completely disappears at random intervals with "authentication problem"...

What version is the AP802 firmware? ... as far as I can tell, the latest production firmware (V1.3.5) does not work at all on 5GHz :!:

As for the Wifi 'disappearing' ...

At one point, during my recent Mesh throughput tests, I watched the AP802's Wifi rhymically appearing and vanishing again (at about 10 seconds intervals).

This was using the Wifi Analyzer app, on an Android tablet. (Said tablet runs olde-worlde Android 6 - which is an advantage, because in later versions, apps are limited as to how often they can monitor wifi and this issue wouldn't be detectable. Having said that, I'm not entirely convinced it was the AP802 at fault and not the Tablet!)

• joeyboygolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Nov 2020 14:23 #4 by joeyboygolf
AP beta firmware is 1.3.5RC5

Problem sorted(?) this morning during phone conversation with UK support representative.
Still not convinced as I noticed the wifi signal disappear this morning, after the support call, so I am reserving judgement at this time!

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Nov 2020 14:56 #5 by hornbyp

joeyboygolf wrote:
AP beta firmware is 1.3.5RC5

Curious - that sounds like a firmware that pre-dates V1.3.5 :?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Nov 2020 15:33 #6 by hornbyp

joeyboygolf wrote:
Wifi completely disappears at random intervals with "authentication problem" when working in the vicinity of the mesh node and it is a real struggle to get it back on.

Just a thought - are you an Apple user?

If so, see: "Applications >> Apple iOS Keep Alive" - which might help.

Who knows, receiving data from the AP every 5 seconds, might help other devices too...