• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • Big Contributor
  • Big Contributor
More
27 Nov 2020 23:26 #7 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Mesh functionality

I wrote:
I think the actual Mesh function is quite a 'static' thing; you can probably see the topology, by studying the various uplink/downlink nodes reported by each node. I don't think it goes searching at the time of failure.

While looking through the AP903 manual for something else, I just noticed what it says (underneath the diagram of a Mesh network)

Draytek wrote: For the mesh group set within VigorMesh network,
? It must be composed by “1” Mesh Root and “0~7” mesh nodes
? (Roaming) Normally members in a mesh group use the same Wireless SSID/security
? (Add) Only the mesh root can add a new mesh node into the mesh group
? (Recover) A disconnected mesh node will automatically try to connect to another connected mesh node of the same group

So I was wrong :cry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2020 09:34 #8 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Wireless Mesh overhead - AP903/AP802
Looking at the Syslogs I can believe that a node will automatically try to connect to another node if one goes down, but as far as I can see that doesn't help clients which were connected to the now absent node. They just seem to be left floundering in the mysterious waters of "roaming". What use is it to have nodes connected to the network if clients aren't? As I roam about the house between nodes my iPhone tells me that it is still connected to the wifi - but when I check it has moved to a "black hole" IP address. I usually have to turn wifi off and back on before it will pick up a "proper" IP - and that's with IP binding and Apple iOS keep alive turned on.

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • Big Contributor
  • Big Contributor
More
19 Oct 2021 00:22 #9 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Wireless Mesh overhead - AP903/AP802
A summary of my earlier results (original post exceeded 3000 char limit :cry: ) :-

Test software was the Android "WiFi Speed Test" application (pro) from the Google Play store, with the Test Server running on a PC under Windows 10.
This PC was connected to an AP903 LAN Port. The app. ran on a Huawei Mate 20 Pro. The test used a 200MB transfer, using 4K packets.

TEST A: [PC]<---ethernet--->[AP903]<---5GHz over 5metres--->[Phone] => 222Mbs Down / 326Mbps up

TEST B: [PC]<---ethernet--->[AP903]<---5GHz over 5metres--->[AP802]<---5GHz over 5metres-->[Phone] => 59Mbs Down / 67Mbps up

TEST C: [PC]<---ethernet--->[AP802]<---5GHz over 5metres--->[Phone] => 146Mbs Down / 127Mbps up (AP802 still in 40MHz mode from Mesh config.)

TEST D: [PC]<---ethernet--->[AP802]<---5GHz over 5metres--->[Phone] => similar to Test A (AP802 now in 80MHz mode)

(Like it says on the AP903 box: "Data rate up to 867Mbps in 5GHz") :lol:

More
19 Oct 2021 09:39 #10 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Wireless Mesh overhead - AP903/AP802
Since we're in an updating mood I guess I should post that currently everything seems to be working pretty much as it should - I have a 2927ac as mesh root, two AP960c as wired nodes and one AP903 as wireless node.

I do not have Band Steering, Fast Transition Roaming or Fast Roaming turned on. The only setting ticked under Roaming is minimum RSSI, set at default -66 dBm and adjacent 5.

Roaming with iOS devices is now pretty fast and almost seamless, even if a node is switched off, provided of course that I am in range of another.

Moderators: Sami