Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Multiple AP902 setup

• rcmr1979
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jan 2021 19:19 #1 by rcmr1979
Multiple AP902 setup was created by rcmr1979
Good evening,

I am a relative novice when it comes to setting up WIFI etc so please be gentle!

I have a Vigor 2762n router and 2x Vigor AP902 WAP.

I am wanting the access points to act as a seamless transition when moving around and for a mobile device to 'connect' to the strongest one. Please can someone explain in laymans terms what type of setup i need to run them in? Do I hide their individual SSID's so that people don't attempt to connect to them? I want the system to act like one big WIFI network from my router. (if that makes sense!)

I have read the manuals several times, but the terminology is way beyond my skill set. I have them all connected up ok and have comms and access to them no problem.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2021 02:15 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Multiple AP902 setup

rcmr1979 wrote:
I am wanting the access points to act as a seamless transition when moving around and for a mobile device to 'connect' to the strongest one. Please can someone explain in laymans terms what type of setup i need to run them in?

You could start your journey here: https://metis.fi/en/2018/11/roaming/ ... then explore the rest of that site.

You don't state whether you are going for a wired ethernet backbone, or want to use Repeater / WDS (ie non-wired) modes. For the former, you want the same SSIDs on each AP, but on different channels. You also want the 'widest' channels (ie bandwidth, measured in MHz, for the fastest performance). You will need to perform a site-survey to determine what channels are free and what are in use by your neighbours. The site-survey will also determine the placement of the Access Points - although, wiring them up at the desired location may not be possible. (A wireless infrastructure is a different kettle of fish - and one I've not explored in anger)

Question: Are you sure you actually need all these Access Points? Is it a particularly 'difficult' building, or do you have specific throughput requirements :?:
(Mine was for a minimum 25Mbps, so that 4K Netflix would work. Even so, a single AP903 nearly suffices for a 2500ft² dwelling on 3 floors...

With regard to Roaming: It is the individual client devices that decide which Access Point they are going to (attempt to) connect to. The Wireless Router or Access Point can attempt to influence this - but it cannot guarantee the results. The way this works, is by disconnecting the client at some pre-determined signal level - or by cooperating with another (compatible) Access Point and agreeing that it would be a better choice. To stop the client simply reconnecting, a temporary Block List is used. Other fancier schemes exist (eg 802.11k and 802.11v ) - but seemingly not on Draytek.

(My personal tip would be to avoid band-steering (where you're effectively roaming from 2.4GHz to 5GHz on the same AP))

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.