Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP903 in Range Extender mode

• bengaul
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2021 14:21 #1 by bengaul
AP903 in Range Extender mode was created by bengaul
Hi,

Can anyone let me know if the LAN ports are available if I use the 903 in Range Extender capacity? I want to extend my WiFi to the top of the house, and use the LAN ports on the 903 for wiring in non WiFi devices.

Many thanks,

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jan 2021 15:03 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: AP903 in Range Extender mode
Not something I've specifically tried, so "don't know" is the answer.

However, that configuration seems to have been working here: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23073&p=94659#p94659 (albeit with a slight glitch).
The AP903 firmware has been updated since then, so may have addressed that issue? ... or even removed the feature, since the AP903 does not seem to offer all the modes described in this article: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5785

My own attempts to use 'Universal Repeater Mode' (non-wired) didn't end well: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23336&p=95421#p95421 , but it wasn't a mode I wanted to use, so I didn't persevere with it.

One thought: As a Wireless 'Range Extender', the AP903 ought to be positioned mid-way between the main AP and the wireless clients. This may well place the AP903 and its LAN Ports a considerable distance from the wired clients.

Have you considered Powerline adaptors ?

• bengaul
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2021 15:12 #3 by bengaul
Replied by bengaul on topic Re: AP903 in Range Extender mode
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have considered them, but I'm not too keen. Not sure why, Would you recommend?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jan 2021 15:24 #4 by hornbyp

Bengaul wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have considered them, but I'm not too keen. Not sure why, Would you recommend?

I've no breadth of experience with Powerline adaptors - I bought a couple of (relatively) inexpensive TP-link models a couple of years ago. They were very easy to get going, but the throughput was quite modest (30ish Mbps). That was enough for my application; the price seemed to ramp up considerably for faster models.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jan 2021 03:41 #5 by hornbyp

hornbyp wrote:
Not something I've specifically tried, so "don't know" is the answer.

I've no idea why, but for some reason, I decided to have another go at setting up the AP903 in Universal Repeater Mode...
...after only 2 or 3 hours messing around, I got it to work :roll:

The answer to the original question is "Yes", you can use the LAN ports as well as the Wifi.

My problems stemmed from the fact that the Android App, doesn't seem to work properly. After a 'paperclip reset', the app found and supposedly configured the AP903 as a Repeater - but it didn't work properly :cry:

In the end, I connected to it via Wifi using a static IP address, because there was no DHCP server in evidence and guessed that it would be accessible at 192.168.1.2. I was then able to use the GUI to complete the setup (or more accurately, type it in for a second time!). I could go on, but the experience was truly dreadful and I'd rather forget about it :lol:

The AP903 appears to function like a pseudo-Router, when in Universal Repeater mode. It connects as a "STA" to the AP to be repeated and its IP address appears in any Traceroute from its clients.

• bengaul
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jan 2021 09:09 #6 by bengaul
Replied by bengaul on topic Re: AP903 in Range Extender mode
Hi,

Huge thanks for the research! It's most appreciated. I think I might invest on that news. See how I go.