• ianmurray
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Feb 2021 16:27 #1 by ianmurray
Mixed Antenna's was created by ianmurray
Hi,

I am wondering if i can use different antenna configuration on draytek products such as a AP903 or 2860AC router.

so in plain term i have 2 questions.

can i use different antennas on a single device i.e. a omnidirectional antenna and a unidirectional on a single device ?

also

is it possible to use extension cable to allow variable locations of antenna, i.e on a 2860ac could i extent the 3 antenna and place them in different locations to get betted coverage? or would it be feasible to extend just one of the 3 antenna and leave the other 2 on their normal position ?

Any tips would be welcome...

Thanks

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 08:13 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Mixed Antenna's
It's not a good idea; they are generally paired for diversity. It may be a usable compromise for your particularly circumstances.

Forum Administrator

More
15 Mar 2021 11:24 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Mixed Antenna's
As admin says, there are reasons for the antennas being as they are*. I'm not sure how the diversity calculations are done when using two or more identical antennas (btw why the apostrophe?) - but if using a mix of directional + omnidirectional one can imagine that things could get confused....

If using extension cables bear in mind the cable attenuation - https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/signal-loss-in-rf-cable-what-is-the-numbers (other websites are available).

* Interesting that the 2926 required 4 aerials whereas the 2927 only has 2

• ianmurray
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 May 2021 11:39 #4 by ianmurray
Replied by ianmurray on topic Re: Mixed Antenna's
thanks for this, it is very useful info.