DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP710 as client bridge?

• cymohn
  • Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2021 21:16 #1 by cymohn
AP710 as client bridge? was created by cymohn
I have a AP710, I'd like to use the LAN port to connect a wired client to my existing WLAN from my TP ArcherVR200. I've done this before but not with a Draytek AP and it's making my head spin. I'm not sure which mode, if any, will allow me to do this. I've tried Bridge-Point to Point and Bridge-WDS modes using the quick start wizard with no success. With large gaps in my knowledge which resist getting filled I'm going round in circles I'm fairly confident I got the VR200's SSID, security and WLAN MAC address settings matched. I need some help with getting the settings right if someone is willing. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2021 11:32 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: AP710 as client bridge?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can do this with Draytek APs. They will bridge to other Draytek APs, but as far as I can see you cannot put them in "client" mode to connect to e.g. a wifi hotspot.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2021 19:02 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: AP710 as client bridge?
Given that Universal Repeater mode is what Vigors seem to use to attach to mobile phone Hotspots, I'd thought I'd give that a try...

(I don't have an AP710, but I pressed my AP802 (single LAN port) into service, for this test)

I set it to "Universal Repeater" mode and then did an Access Point Discovery 'scan' (on 2.4GHz). I picked one of my AP903's SSIDs, and did "Add to Universal Repeater" (or similar)

Then, on the Universal Repeater menu, I typed in the passphrase for the selected SSID (leaving the other parameters, such as 'channel' alone). I de-selected AP802 AP function (but it turns out that is totally ignored!). Finally, I set the AP802 LAN to DHCP Client and rebooted.

Success! ... a laptop attached to the AP802 LAN port, got an IP address from the network associated with the 'Repeated' SSID on the AP903. Since the 'AP' function didn't seem to want to shutdown, I manually disabled 5GHz altogether -and I suppose I could have hidden the 2.4GHz ones.

I didn't pursue it any further, since it was just a test - conceptually, I can't see why it wouldn't apply to the AP710 and other access points.

One thing worth noting, was that I typed in the wrong passphrase at one point - and was rewarded with absolutely no error messages at all :cry: ... I went looking for it at the AP903 end, and when I got the passphrase correct, it appeared in the station list. (No doubt there was an 'associate' failure in Syslog too).

More
28 Feb 2021 11:46 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: AP710 as client bridge?
Well done hornbyp :D

I dug out my AP710 (yes I have one of those as well :roll: ) (actually I also have a 700 but that's going to the dump when they re-open. My first Draytek was the 2200 USB router...)

Set it to "Universal Repeater", scanned for APs and found my Android phone on 2.4GHz. Added that to the repeater mode with "DHCP" set as an option.

LAN settings set as "DHCP Client" but "DHCP Server" disabled

Rebooted and plugged a laptop into the LAN port - laptop got an IP from the phone, with phone as the gateway address. On Fast.com tested as 5Mb download :!: (maybe 5G has been nobbled by anti-vaxers :lol: )

Now if only my 2926 could do that.....

• cymohn
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2021 14:48 #5 by cymohn
Replied by cymohn on topic Re: AP710 as client bridge?
That did the trick hornbyp. Thanks!