Unexpect Config Loss - Apple iPad

• ytene
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Mar 2021 16:56 #1 by ytene
Unexpect Config Loss - Apple iPad was created by ytene
I've just experienced a rather weird set of events related to my 2862ac - weird enough for me to offer this post to see if anyone has experienced anything remotely similar...

I have a 2862ac, purchased May 2020 and which is currently running Firmware 3.9.2_BT...

I also have a 10.1" Apple iPad Pro, which is about 2-3 years old, and an iPad Pro 12.9" model, which I bought in June last year.

A couple of days ago I was using my 12.9" iPad to surf the web from my living room, when it declared that it had no wifi connection. Literally while I was using it to surf the web. OK, maybe my Vigor was having a moment and rebooting itself? I went and checked - and the router was fine. The iPad had *completely* lost it's connection.

Now, because I at least try to be secure, I had the Vigor set with a dedicated, non-default SSID enabled, hidden, password-protected with a decent password and with ACL active. I went to the iPad settings applet and tried to re-connect, only to discover that before I was able to reconnect to the router, I had to un-hide the network and disable the MAC Filter. I'm now back up and running and going through the process of trying to re-apply the same level of security that I had on the network, now that I have been able to get the new iPad to connect (it is currently back using the 5GHz network just fine).

I'm not sure if I can easily track any wifi events on the router, but I can see that my "System Uptime" on the "Online Status" page is currently just shy of 64 days.

I've also been able to check the older, 10.1" iPad, which has remained connected *to the same network* without hitch all the way through this.

I've 99% convinced myself that maybe I stumbled over an as-yet unidentified iOS bug and that might somehow be related to hardware differences between the two iPads [they're both running iOS 14.4 and are as up-to-date as I can make them].

I don't *think* this is the Vigor... but there are much smarter people than me who frequent the forum, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen anything like this. I'm particularly intrigued at the reluctance of the iPad to accept MAC Address ACLing... which used to work just fine.

Any observations/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
10 Mar 2021 19:18 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Unexpect Config Loss - Apple iPad
Has this new iPad got this wonderful 'Dynamic MAC' feature?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211227

• ytene
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 May 2021 07:29 #3 by ytene
Replied by ytene on topic Re: Unexpect Config Loss - Apple iPad
Thank you, that was the problem.

Turns out that this was triggered by an iOS update and that Apple activate this "feature" by default and without any real notification. Such a bad idea - after initially wrestling with this I was all in favour of disabling MAC address filtering, which would have reduced the security of my wireless network.