Using 2 vigor routers as wifi "booster"

• cornz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2021 21:05 #1 by cornz
Hi, i'll keep this as simple as i can.
I have 2 routers, a 2860 and a 2862. I bought the 2862 for the improved wifi but in my case it didn't do much to assist.
The 2862 is in a loft.
The house has new metal film foam insulation in the loft and bedrooms, ergo the upstairs is a faraday cage.
How would i go about connecting the two routers (they would be connected to each other via an ethernet cable/switch ) so that the 2860 would be the wireless reciver and then send the data via RJ45 to the 2862 in the loft which is the DSL modem.
I suspect this is something so simple i'm over complicating it but the reason is my smart lightbulbs in the kitchen wont work and other wifi devices suffer due to the shockingly bad wifi signal. The house is due to be cat6 enabled (cables are laid) but this doesn't help with the IOT stuff so i still need a reasonable wifi signal.
Any help welcomed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cornz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2021 21:08 #2 by cornz
Is it THIS simple?
Disable wifi in the 2860 (modem in the loft), copy all wifi settings to 2862 downstairs!
Is it THAT simple???
Or, is there a better way using bridging mode or similar..

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
12 Apr 2021 02:12 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Using 2 vigor routers as wifi "booster"

cornz wrote:
Disable wifi in the 2860 (modem in the loft), copy all wifi settings to 2862 downstairs!
Or, is there a better way using bridging mode or similar..

Bridging mode would be better, in that you could use the older 2860 purely as a DSL modem, and the newer, more capable 2862 as Router/AP. (Otherwise, you'd be using the 2862 purely as an Access Point. Alternatively, you could probably keep your I.O.T. devices happy, with something as simple as this via Cat6.)

Question: Why does the DSL modem have to be in the loft :?: (It doesn't seem a likely location for the Openreach Master Socket :!: )

• cornz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Apr 2021 17:13 #4 by cornz
Hi, thanks for the reply.
It is in the loft because the cable from the pole connects straight under the eaves, ran all the way down the front of the house, accross the bottom of a window then back up and into the door frame, round the hall finally ending up in the living room. It was, an absolute horror. As i decided to dump all the IT gear in the loft it made sense to put it straight in there (no need for landline). I never took into account the dampening field i was creating by making my house warm! My bad but not the end of the world, as i said, i have cat6 cabling throughout all waiting to be connected but covid has put a lot of plans on hold.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2021 00:34 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Using 2 vigor routers as wifi "booster"

cornz wrote:
I have cat6 cabling throughout all waiting to be connected but covid has put a lot of plans on hold.

So maybe you just extend the incoming phone line over a CAT6 pair, from the loft, to a more convenient location.

• cornz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Apr 2021 20:47 #6 by cornz

hornbyp wrote:

cornz wrote:
I have cat6 cabling throughout all waiting to be connected but covid has put a lot of plans on hold.

So maybe you just extend the incoming phone line over a CAT6 pair, from the loft, to a more convenient location.

NO!!!
There is no need to move anything out of the loft, i was sick of all my gear being downstairs, i want to live in a house, not an IT cupboard! ;-)