DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WiFi speed

More
04 Sep 2021 09:42 #1 by edinburgh
WiFi speed was created by edinburgh
Greetings All

I'm hoping someone will be able to shed a bit of light on how to resolve the following. When I connect to my 2762ac via WiFi using my phone (Android) or my partner's (iPhone), the speedtest shows a very sluggish connection with speeds being in the range of 1-5Mbps, even in close proximity to the router, also high ping, high jitter. Sometimes it gets higher, but is very erratic in general.

When I connect with my laptop (WiFi, too), the speeds are very high and at the top end of what I'd expect for my connection (40Mbps). Sometimes switching the WiFi on/off on the router helps, but not always. And I've tried the usual: channel change, channel bandwidth etc. I don't have any bandwidth management/QoS in place. I don't live in a network congested area.

Here is the other settings:
- hardware acceleration enabled/disabled (makes no difference)
- 2.4GHz (g+n) SSID is different from 5GHz (a+n+ac) SSID; the above speed issue affects both, sometimes concurrently sometimes not
- Security WPA2/PSK
- No MAC control
- WPS/WPD disabled
- No station control enabled
- Airtime fairness is on (2 as minumum)
- Band steering off
- Disable RSSI requirement is checked

Below are advanced settings - see the image:

Thank you in advance for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2021 14:39 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: WiFi speed
Your linked image isn't showing up ... for whatever reason, though I can't think what setting on the Router would give this effect any way (except maybe switch Airtime 'fairness' off).

I don't have an immediate answer, but could I suggest you use a particular speed tester...which could be enlightening.

I know everyone has their own favourite :) ... but I find Netflix's to be a decent 'real world' test. There's a web-based version at https://fast.com and apps as well (certainly for Android, and probably for iphone). It's also built into TVs, SKY Q boxes etc - by way of the main Netflix app's "Test my connection" function in the "Help".

It has a blog at https://netflixtechblog.com/building-fast-com-4857fe0f8adb , which explains how it works and what it's measuring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami