DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP903 & AP802 Mesh - Video Call Problems

• ashdel
  • Topic Author
More
04 Oct 2021 15:57 #1 by ashdel
I am having difficulties with my mesh. This is most noticeable during video calls, but does occur at other times also.

I will start a video call with a fully synced mesh and no visible connection or broadband issues. If this is a one to one call then it will usually work without issue. However, once more people join this is when I start to have problems, with poor call quality and then call dropping. The only solution at this point is to either switch to my mobile 4g hotspot or restart the whole mesh and wait for it to come back online. If I simply wait for the mesh it never resolves itself and the call does not reconnect (about 10 minutes is the longest I have attempted to rejoin before giving up and going to my hotspot).

I am usually connected to hop 2 when doing this with speed test between 12-18mbps down and 9-10mbps up.

I have been working through various settings including RSSI, RTS, and Central AP management but can't seam to resolve the issue.

My AP903 is hard wired to my Plusnet router (can't afford a vigor router at this time). If I connect to my Plusnet router whilst this is going on I will get a full 70+ mbps down and 15+ mbps up, I usually can't connect to my mesh whilst these problems are happening and have to hard boot it.

Something weird I noticed today when trying to trouble shoot is the AP903 root was giving a speed test of 6mbps down and 3mbps up, but hop2 was showing 15mps down and 9mbps up, which was similar to what I was getting with Ookla.

I also don't have these issue if directly connected to the mesh root.

I would appreciate any suggestions as I have spent a lot of money on the mesh but have to rely on 4G when it really matters.

Both AP903 & AP802's are flashed to latest firmware 1.42

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2021 00:05 #2 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: AP903 & AP802 Mesh - Video Call Problems
Have you read this: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24346

More
05 Oct 2021 02:39 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: AP903 & AP802 Mesh - Video Call Problems

AshDel wrote:
I am having difficulties with my mesh. This is most noticeable during video calls, but does occur at other times also.

Yes, I can't help but feel that you have some fundamental underlying issue(s) and the demanding nature of a video call is making it show up...

I did some throughput tests with an AP903+AP802 in Wireless-mesh mode - the AP903 being hardwired to a test PC and an Android client connected to the AP802.
(See here: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23887&p=97784#p97784 )

[PC]<---ethernet--->[AP903]<---5GHz over 5metres--->[AP802]<---5GHz over 5metres-->[Phone]

In that scenario, PC <--> Phone throughput was 59~67Mbps ... through 2 floors, over 10metres or so. The house is 4 years old and so is made of compressed dust - with silver-paper lined insulation in unexpected places :?

I would maybe suggest starting with the basics, regarding interference and AP positioning etc. Name the 2.4GHz + 5GHz SSIDs differently, so you know which you're connected to (and don't use the auto 'band-steering' feature).

• ashdel
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2021 13:11 #4 by ashdel
Thanks, gone through all of these settings and still no joy. I have checked and AP root and all nodes are configured the same.

I just can't find that setting which will allow video calls to work!

• ashdel
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2021 12:53 #5 by ashdel
I appear to have found a resolution to this problem. Finally got myself a Draytek router and had very few problems since. It was a freebie from a friend a 2862ln so still using the same setup just with a better router.

Moderators: Sami