DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Mesh node priority over root ?

• draytons
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jan 2022 19:01 #1 by draytons
Mesh node priority over root ? was created by draytons
Hi I have some ring cameras that struggle connecting sometimes to my router so I have added 2 mesh ap’s but looking at my mesh status they are generally connected to the root / router and this is not improving the signal even with the node in same room as the camera ?
Is there any way of making a client use a specific node ?
Thankyou Darren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2022 09:23 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Mesh node priority over root ?
You could try adding the MAC addresses of the devices you don't want to connect to the router to "Wireless LAN access control" black list (2.4/5 or both as appropriate). In theory this will stop them connecting to it, if I understand the purpose of this feature correctly.

From my limited experimentation this Access Control feature does not propagate to access points on the mesh - you would have to do the same on each access point if you wanted to block connections to any of those, for example, but I'm guessing you don't want to do that :)

What you will need to ensure is that there is at least one other AP that your devices can connect to in the event of a failure of your preferred connection.

• draytons
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jan 2022 14:52 #3 by draytons
Replied by draytons on topic Re: Mesh node priority over root ?
This was my fix after help from a Facebook group
I made a SSID on my ap912 just for my ring camera but could not get it to connect to the ring camera even after reset
Next I tried to do the same on ap903 and that works great no single problems so far and it only connects to my 903
So I am going to return ap912 and order another ap903
And hope that’s the end of my ring problems