DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VigorAP 1060C Optimal Cabling and Switch Connection

• therave
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2022 23:36 #1 by therave
I am hopeful that my home will (finally!) be receiving FTTP "in the Spring" and as result I will be needing some network upgrades: particularly an access point(s) and POE switch.

I will state, before asking the question, that I am not a network engineer or similar! Although ex-IT staff many years ago my speciality was more on the software than hardware side and I am now simply an enthusiastic home user. I would surmise my knowledge is more than the average member of the public - I would not be using Draytek products otherwise - but is probably less than many on this forum. Please bear this in mind!

My question is apparently simple, so much so that I think I must be overlooking something obvious and I cannot see it: the Draytek 1060C Access point has only one RJ45 LAN port that is specified up to 2.5G for use with POE. Yet I cannot find any Draytek POE switches with RJ-45 2.5G or multi-gig ports; so how do you maximise the link potential? Or indeed what is the purpose of 2.5G spec if it can only be cabled to 1G port? I have seen that many switches have SFP ports with greater than 1G spec and, I believe, SFP/RJ45 modules are available to utilise these ports....but surely this is not what Draytek intended for 1060C to switch connection?

What am I missing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2022 11:02 #2 by admin3
DrayTek do have plans to bring in 2.5GbE switches - I think that they would have come along with the VigorAP 1060C but the ongoing component shortages, that are affecting many companies, have delayed things.

For now, only the Vigor 3910 can make good use of the VigorAP 1060C's 2.5GbE port. That would need to be powered via DC rather than PoE, which isn't ideal.

Forum Administrator

• therave
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2022 15:00 #3 by therave
Thanks for the response. The essence of which is that I am not missing something then! I did see the spec of 3910 and thought of this potential route but, as you state, adding an injector or other power supply direct to the AP is far from ideal and the 3910 cost/specs are a tad "overkill" for home use.

• therave
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2022 15:02 #4 by therave
Do you know for definite that Draytek had/have plans for 2.5 G switches or are you surmising? If you do have knowledge of them do you have any best guesstimate of the delay/possible release time?

Moderators: Sami