DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dell Inspiron 5515 won't connect to 5G Wifi on 2862

• rhourahane
  • Topic Author
More
02 Mar 2022 16:58 #1 by rhourahane
Hi,
I have a Dell Inspiron 5515 with an Intel Wifi 6 AX200 160Mhz adapter. While it will happily connect to my 2862 on 2.4G band and displays my 5G SIDDs when I try to connect to my 5G SIDD it fails an reconnects to 2.4G connection. My iPhone and IPad will connect via 5G so I'm assuming that 5G is basically working.

Any ideas as to why my Dell doesn't want to connect via 5G?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2022 02:25 #2 by hornbyp
Any useful information, will be in the Draytek's Syslog output and the Windows PC's Eventlog. It may not be easy to spot :(

I try to connect to my 5G SSID it fails and reconnects to 2.4G connection

Do these two SSIDs have the same name, or does it just have stored credentials for them both ? Try taking its choices away :wink: ... it may work.

(I have a printer on the second floor, which insists on connecting (feebly) to a 2860n two floors below. Only when I block it on the 2860, will it connect to the AP903 one floor below. After months of running like this, if I remove the block, it immediately gets in touch with its old flame - the 2860 :roll: )

More
03 Mar 2022 09:14 #3 by admin3
Here are a few suggestions for connection issues on the 2862's 5GHz:
1. Try using channels 36-48 to avoid dynamic frequency selection. I'd usually select channel 44 as the control channel, but that's still the same 80mhz channel block.
2. Set wireless security to just WPA2/PSK, leave EAPOL Key Retry set to Enable (unless you have devices that have had no software/firmware updates for ~3 years)
3. In 5GHz Advanced settings:
- set the Country Code to GB, maybe it's set wrong?
- Channel Bandwidth should be 20/40/80
- Operation mode of Mixed mode should be fine
- Set WMM Capable to Enable, APSD is also good to enable for mobile devices

Forum Administrator

• rhourahane
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2022 15:17 #4 by rhourahane

hornbyp wrote:
Any useful information, will be in the Draytek's Syslog output and the Windows PC's Eventlog. It may not be easy to spot :(

I try to connect to my 5G SSID it fails and reconnects to 2.4G connection

Do these two SSIDs have the same name, or does it just have stored credentials for them both ? Try taking its choices away :wink: ... it may work.

(I have a printer on the second floor, which insists on connecting (feebly) to a 2860n two floors below. Only when I block it on the 2860, will it connect to the AP903 one floor below. After months of running like this, if I remove the block, it immediately gets in touch with its old flame - the 2860 :roll: )

They have two difference SSIDs, I have a combined SSID but it won't connect to that at all.

So I try to connect to the solely 5G and that fails after asking for password then Windows connects to the 2.4G SSID it was previously connected on using the save credentials.

Moderators: Sami