DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Should I care about WiFi 6?

• daveglasgow
  • Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2022 16:03 #1 by daveglasgow
Should I care about WiFi 6? was created by daveglasgow
I'm looking at getting a new router. Should I care about WiFi 6. According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_6 WiFi 6 is designed for "high-density scenarios, such as corporate offices, shopping malls and dense residential apartments", which does not describe my location.

I don't have any WiFi 6 devices and don't know when I'd get one (new iPhone one day in a year or two?).

I kind of think - even from a future proofing viewpoint - its not really worth bothering about. What do you kind of think?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2022 18:13 #2 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Should I care about WiFi 6?
It really depends on how susceptible you're to advertising.

Out of around 15 devices that I have, only one is capable of WiFi6. Would I get a new WiFi6 router for this one device? No.

I think 'future proofing' is an advertising trick. With the advancement of technology, nothing is future proof, apart from being certain to land in a landfill one day.

Also, some technologies will struggle to catch on. For example g.fast, due to the way it operates, I don't think will be actively installed. I may be wrong, though.

• daveglasgow
  • Topic Author
More
04 Mar 2022 08:05 #3 by daveglasgow
Replied by daveglasgow on topic Re: Should I care about WiFi 6?
I think I'm as cynical about it as you! The more I read about it the less I think its anything I need. Yea olde WiFi "5" seems fine for the next few years!

More
04 Mar 2022 16:57 #4 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Should I care about WiFi 6?
Wi-Fi 6 is more of a long-term change, it's going to require Wi-Fi 6 clients and APs exclusively to get the best performance out of it, because many of the features like OFDMA and BSS-colouring need both client & AP support.

It really does boost performance quite significantly from my real world testing vs just the wifi link rates. But until the UK's broadband gets closer to gigabit for most, it's not going to matter too much, when compared with the still very effective Wi-Fi 5 / 11ac.
If you do have actual gigabit / FTTP broadband, then Wi-Fi 6 and converting over client devices is definitely worth it.

Forum Administrator

More
09 Mar 2022 16:04 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Should I care about WiFi 6?

DaveGlasgow wrote:
I'm looking at getting a new router. Should I care about WiFi 6.

Have a read through this: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html It's a treasure trove of information :!:

(PS. The answer is "no" :lol: )

Moderators: Sami