Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Apple TV connection to 1060C needs WPA2/WAP Personal

• arj
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
31 Mar 2022 10:11 #1 by arj
I have an older Apple TV and older iPad that refuse to connect to a 1060C when the SSID is set to "WPA3/WPA2 Personal" security. I find I have to setup an alternative SSID set to "WPA2/WPA Personal" and it'll then connect successfully. The strange thing is when they do connect the 1060C says they are both running in WPA2 Auth Mode. It's strange therefore that they don't seem to connect when the 1060C is in "WPA3/WPA2 Personal" mode. It's as though there is some incompatibility when the 1060C is in "WPA3/WPA2 Personal" mode that's preventing a WPA2 connection.

I mention it in case anyone else has trouble getting older Apple devices to connect to a 1060C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2022 13:33 #2 by piste basher
The issue is perhaps wider than that. I run a couple of 960c's and have never managed to persuade any devices - whether Apple old or new or not Apple - to connect using WPA3/WPA2 Personal. I just reverted to WPA2 and forgot about it.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2022 01:05 #3 by hornbyp
Just let us know, when you've got all this IpV6/WiFi 6/WPA3 stuff sorted out... I have quite enough trouble with the old stuff :wink:

More
02 Apr 2022 10:59 #4 by piste basher
:lol: :lol:

• arj
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2022 18:43 #5 by arj

Piste Basher wrote:
The issue is perhaps wider than that. I run a couple of 960c's and have never managed to persuade any devices - whether Apple old or new or not Apple - to connect using WPA3/WPA2 Personal. I just reverted to WPA2 and forgot about it.

Yes, there does seem to be some sort of incompatibility with WPA3/WPA2 Personal mode with some older devices. Generally, perhaps unsurprisingly, I find newer devices are happy to connect with WPA3, others happy to connect with WPA2. But some older Apple devices only want to work when the SSID is in WPA2/WPA mode.