Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2.4GHz Wifi on 2866Lac will not accept new clients

• dewcal
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jul 2022 14:07 #1 by dewcal
I have a 2866Lac (f/w 4.4.0) with a specific (2.4GHz only) SSID to connect a variety of (mainly TUYA) smart devices - switches / temperature - using WPA2 encryption with no special characters in the password. When trying to add any new devices the process times out and nothing new can be connected.

I set up a Fritz!Box 7530 on 2.4GHz and the new devices will connect within seconds to it so the new devices appear to function okay. Keeping the Fritz connected is not a long term solution.

The 2866Lac firewall is as it came and switching it on / off does not seem to make a difference. In total I have about 25 WiFi clients on this SSID so would expect this to be well within capacity.

Any ideas as to what I can try to get the new devices connected?

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jul 2022 15:47 #2 by hornbyp
Guess: Is the DHCP pool large enough?

Your only hope for actual debugging information, probably lies with SYSLOG from the 2866. (Most usable with an external SYSLOG server, eg Draytek's free SYSLOG Daemon )

• dewcal
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jul 2022 16:23 #3 by dewcal
Thanks for reply. DHCP pool of 254 with 100 reserved and only 3 used from the "free" allocation. Will resort to the syslog daemon.....

More
13 Jan 2023 14:27 #4 by mn4292
Hi Dewcal,

How are you?

I spoke to you a while back around the DSL issues around the 2866 model of Router. Interestingly this is still an issue and stuck using an external modem. Putting that aside, I'm also having the same Wi-Fi issue as you experienced.

This router is a complete windup. Did you ever solve this problem? I see your post is quite old.

Some of my WiFi clients will be dropped by the router, at set points of the day and will be unable to connect back until the Router is restarted.

Absolute terrible device!

• dewcal
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jan 2023 14:38 #5 by dewcal
Hi mn4292,

Yes, this is still an issue. Now running fw 4.4.1 on the 2866Lac. I am still using a FritzBox to receive the ADSl and this is the only way I have found to stop the 2866Lac rebooting itself every day or less. It has now been "up" for over 30 days - a record. Just a shame it cannot do what it was sold to do.

Am currently trying to add a TUYA temperature sensor to the 2.4 SSID and continue to fail with time outs. This particular sensor was previously connected but the connection dropped....

I have actually started to use Zigbee devices as the wifi is so unreliable in terms of initial connection.

On the plus side of the 2866, the mesh seems to work well around the house although by saying so i have probably just jinxed it!

Do let me know if you ever find a solution.

More
13 Jan 2023 14:48 #6 by mn4292
Thank you for the information.

I never really had any Wi-Fi issues with the 2866 until a couple of weeks ago when my outside camera started disconnecting from the Wi-Fi. It would only ever reconnect one the Router had been rebooted.

Today, I've also discovered that my Smartwatch and work iPhone, also disconnect from the Wi-Fi at the same time. All devices unable to reconnect until the Router is rebooted.

These devices mention rarely access the internet. Those Wi-Fi devices which are quite active, remain connected.

My old 2862 never caused me any bother but this 2866 is utter garbage!