DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WiFi Access SSID not found

• davethegom
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jul 2022 21:22 #1 by davethegom
WiFi Access SSID not found was created by davethegom
Hi, home user with Vigor 2860n, firmware = 3.7.4.3 Attempting to connect via WiFi from either of two laptops Draytek & Draytek_Guest are listed, but selecting either results in the error SSID not found.
I was advised to upgrade the firmware, but am totally confused by the number of different files with the same date. Advice as to which file to download if it is likely to help, and/or any config settings that may cause this error, will be most welcome. Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jul 2022 22:49 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: WiFi Access SSID not found

daveTheGOM wrote:
Advice as to which file to download if it is likely to help, and/or any config settings that may cause this error, will be most welcome.

There have been many, many improvements since V3.7.4.3 was released (in September 2014), so upgrading the firmware is definitely advisable!

If you use WAN2 for your connection, then there's probably nothing to choose between versions, but otherwise, nothing to be lost by trying 'em all! (though BT(576D17) is the recommended one).

You may see speed or stability improvements with one of the others).

More
01 Aug 2022 08:27 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: WiFi Access SSID not found
Draytek and Draytek Guest are some kind of "default" SSID's - I suspect that no-one but you has ever tried to connect to them :D (with some devices they continue to appear in wifi searches even though they're not in the list of SSID's :roll: )

You need to create your own SSID(s) with, preferably. WPA2 and password security. Firmware versions shouldn't affect that side of things much

• davethegom
  • Topic Author
More
01 Aug 2022 21:08 #4 by davethegom
Replied by davethegom on topic Re: WiFi Access SSID not found
Many thanks for the replies, I should have stated that the router is second hand, it may have the previous config, or been reset, not sure. I have updated the firmware to v2860_391_BT_576D17.all That went all Ok. But the SSID names is confusing me I found the following section, but it looks like the required details are in place. I guess that "Security Key is the Password, and can be changed, if only i am able to connect to it.

Host AP
SSID Name:DrayTek
Security Key:*************

Guest AP
SSID Name:DrayTek_Guest
Security Key:*************
Rate Control:Enabled

Mode: WPA2/PSK
WPA
Encryption Mode: TKIP for WPA/AES for WPA2
Pre-Shared Key(PSK): *************

** Station List : Shows nothing when trying to connect
and clicking "Refresh"

More
02 Aug 2022 08:33 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: WiFi Access SSID not found
If you don't know the password for those SSID's then how do you expect to be able to connect to them?

I don't understand why you are persisting with the Draytek SSIDs - just create your own with your own (known!) passwords.

• davethegom
  • Topic Author
More
02 Aug 2022 23:07 #6 by davethegom
Replied by davethegom on topic Re: WiFi Access SSID not found
I intended to change the passwords after being able to get to the point where a password entry was required. However trying to find the section with SSID's & Passwords the router requested a "Login" but failed to accept the user name / password, so I done a factory reset, and then used the quick set up wizard. I can now log in, but no web access. so an old netgear router has been pressed into service. i have a manual for the router, but find it more than confusing, so currently stressed and depressed, best left to try again another day.