DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to force higher channel bandwidth?

More
30 Jan 2023 08:53 #1 by qwaz01
I have just had 200Mbs FTTP installed and I'm running it via my Vigor 2865Lac. The Wifi6 router then provided speed tests at 195/195 but the Draytek I can only get 130/130. I think it might be that all wireless clients are connecting on a channel bandwidth of 20 even though I have 20/40/80 selected so the wireless bandwidth is limited as its not connecting on multiple channels. Is it possible to force this setting at all? How can I get a client to connect at 40 to test?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2023 14:48 #2 by admin2
Replied by admin2 on topic Re: How to force higher channel bandwidth?
Hi,

I don't think you can force it, as it happens automatically based on the client and server capability, and the signal strength. All WiFi 5 and WiFi 6 clients should support more than 20MHz, so if it's never getting 20MHz I would wonder if interference is causing an issue.

I expect you're checking the WiFi properties on the client to see the reported speed and have tried close to the router, but rather than moving closer while it's still connected do try disconnecting and moving closer and then reconnecting to the WiFi (as it's not necessarily going to automatically renegotiate a faster PHY rate).

More
27 Feb 2023 09:56 #3 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: How to force higher channel bandwidth?

admin2 wrote:
I don't think you can force it, as it happens automatically based on the client and server capability, and the signal strength. All WiFi 5 and WiFi 6 clients should support more than 20MHz, so if it's never getting 20MHz I would wonder if interference is causing an issue.

I expect you're checking the WiFi properties on the client to see the reported speed and have tried close to the router, but rather than moving closer while it's still connected do try disconnecting and moving closer and then reconnecting to the WiFi (as it's not necessarily going to automatically renegotiate a faster PHY rate).

Sorry for the slow reply.

I was getting the stat from the Draytek wireless station list...

I'm sitting with my laptop about 2 metres away from the router and still connecting on 20Mhz.

More
01 Jul 2023 13:01 #4 by geoffbmr99
Replied by geoffbmr99 on topic Re: How to force higher channel bandwidth?
Apologies for jumping in on your thread, but I have a similar problem.
Setup here is a Unifi AP-AC-Lite (ch100) and a Draytek 2765ac router with 5GHz wifi currently on ch52. With 500Mbps FTTP installed, I can reliably get 450/70 or better on a speedtest (Pixel 4a client) when connected to the Unifi AP, but the Draytek never achieves better than 130Mbps download. I have tried other channels - the Draytek was originally on ch36 with the same result.
I am within 10 feet of the Draytek.
Running WiFiAnalyser, I can see that the Draytek is operating with 20MHz channel width, which would explain the relatively poor speed.
I have Mode set to "Mixed (11a+11n+11ac)" which I assume is correct for 80MHz channel width, but I have never seen any device connect at greater than 20MHz.
Any ideas would be most welcome.

More
01 Jul 2023 13:25 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: How to force higher channel bandwidth?
Apologies if this is egg-sucking but you have presumably set the bandwidth in "Advanced Setting" ?

More
01 Jul 2023 14:51 #6 by geoffbmr99
Replied by geoffbmr99 on topic Re: How to force higher channel bandwidth?
Yes, I should have mentioned that. Bandwidth set to 20/40/80
Cheers

Moderators: Sami