DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

1060c Mesh Node w/2927

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2023 10:14 #1 by nieldm
1060c Mesh Node w/2927 was created by nieldm
I am struggling to set up a simple mesh with a 2927 as Mesh Root and a 1060c as a node. The 1060c is sitting next to the 2927, duly factory reset with no ethernet cable attached per these instructions - https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-mesh-root-router - but hitting Search under Mesh/Mesh Setup shows nothing.

Confusingly.... if I go to Mesh Discovery I can see the 1060c in Operation Mode "MeshNode(Wireless)"
Worryingly....if I access the Mesh Support List on the Setup page, it only shows the 960c, not the 1060c

What bleedingly obvious 'something' am I missing here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2023 14:14 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 1060c Mesh Node w/2927
Which 2927 do you have? My 2927ac would act as mesh root for my mesh of AP960C's, but the 2927ax ONLY supports the AP906 (not the AP960c). :evil:

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2023 14:39 #3 by nieldm
Replied by nieldm on topic Re: 1060c Mesh Node w/2927
That would explain it…I have the ax. That’s really dumb! I assume if I use the ax to control the 1060 as an External AP I can configure roaming between the two?

More
03 Feb 2023 14:55 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 1060c Mesh Node w/2927
Yes, I was suckered into buying an ax thinking that it would work as part of my mesh. :roll:

I suspect that Draytek rolled out the ax just so they could say that they had a wifi 6 router. When launched it had no mesh capability, and now that it has it is not compatible with any of their existing wifi 6 kit. I've been using Draytek since the days of the USB router (2200?) with a "green stingray" modem, but it's not likely that they'll take any more of my money after this fiasco.

Client devices may well roam between the router and a connected AP but whether or not you can "configure" it is to venture into the dark arts....there are many forum topics on the subject of roaming :lol:

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2023 16:42 #5 by nieldm
Talk about being suckered. I just sold all my Unifi APs and upgraded a 2926 to a 27 to “consolidate” on Draytek given that the routers are so much better, and decided to invest in a 1060c. Nowhere in any documentation, of which I read everything I could find (albeit not on this forum), is this mentioned, unless I missed it. I could have bought three unifi ax APs for the price of the 1060c.

To say I am “disappointed” is rather an understatement.

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2023 19:11 #6 by nieldm
Actually I have a follow up question. Is there a Draytek router with which the 1060c can mesh 802.11ax? If not, Draytek are so far out of order in the way these devices and the capabilities are being marketed, they are on shaky ground.

Moderators: Sami