DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

1060c Mesh Node w/2927

More
16 Feb 2023 07:43 #7 by technical
Replied by technical on topic Re: 1060c Mesh Node w/2927
in same boat here, shocking decisions really, marketing disconnected from tech/dev team.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2023 08:33 #8 by nieldm
Replied by nieldm on topic Re: 1060c Mesh Node w/2927
On doing a little more research into this, it seems I can use Access Point Management (APM) given that my 1060c is wired. As far as I can tell from the shocking documentation this should yield the same result as Mesh given that I don't need any access points to connect wirelessly.

That said, I am pretty sure I am missing something as why have Wifi 2.4/5G settings on the router that are changeable independently of the Profile you setup under APM? Surely the point is that you configure the settings once and they propagate across connected APs and the router.

I am starting to regret my decision to 'simplify' my setup by replacing the Unifi APs. Configuration of a Unifi environment is vastly simpler and more logical.

More
16 Feb 2023 09:26 #9 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 1060c Mesh Node w/2927
Interesting - the propagation of settings is of minor interest to me, as they tend to be a once only set and forget on my setup. I bought into the mesh concept for its supposedly superior failure tolerance, which is annoying since my 2927ax cannot be part of my mesh. I'm considering putting the 2927ac back into service in its place, but haven't been arsed to do so up till now.

More
16 Feb 2023 20:09 #10 by technical
Replied by technical on topic Re: 1060c Mesh Node w/2927

nieldm wrote:
On doing a little more research into this, it seems I can use Access Point Management (APM) given that my 1060c is wired. As far as I can tell from the shocking documentation this should yield the same result as Mesh given that I don't need any access points to connect wirelessly.

That said, I am pretty sure I am missing something as why have Wifi 2.4/5G settings on the router that are changeable independently of the Profile you setup under APM? Surely the point is that you configure the settings once and they propagate across connected APs and the router.

I am starting to regret my decision to 'simplify' my setup by replacing the Unifi APs. Configuration of a Unifi environment is vastly simpler and more logical.

And this is the route I have taken with 2866AX and 1060C, but sad reality both products have completely different firmware interfaces. Whilst I like 1060C fresh look yet many functions don't work there, whilst 2866 still on old fashioned interface and lacks features 1060C has...That even includes wifi configuration, never mind mesh, when you dive into settings like security or wifi channel selection you will find that some stuff is missing on 2866! So making identical configuration becomes a challenge. Even something simple like setting up wifi channels and security seems like 1060c has far superior options. Yet 1060C was released 03/21 where 2866 was 09/21! I cant even imagine how 2866AX will only support AP906 when its based on ancient firmware and cant support/match current AP's :roll: All I can think of that newest AP's no longer made by them, but rather third party rebadge hence all weird mismatch... Lets be open and honest here 1060C looks like twin brother of Netgear WAX218

More
17 Feb 2023 08:39 #11 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 1060c Mesh Node w/2927
I thought it was odd when they promoted the second 5GHz backhaul channel on the 1060c as a "feature", since as far as I knew none of their routers had a second 5GHz channel.

Moderators: Sami