DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek wifi bad performance with video calls ?

• avmagic
  • Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2023 08:42 #1 by avmagic
In 2019 I supplied a client with Draytek router and multiple AP903's. From day 1 he had complaints of dropouts when using video calls. Multiple callouts, remote 'tech support' from Draytek failed to resolve. After about a year of this the client binned the whole system , replaced with TP Link Deco and has since had zero issues..

Just over a year ago I had a similar issue with a client, AP1000's - poor video call performance with iphone. On this occasion, rather than go down the nightmare rabbit warren of tech calls, unpaid callouts etc I bit the bullet & just replaced with TP Link..... no further issues since.

Since then of course I have specified very little Draytek, but another client from '19 has been in touch saying video call performance terrible ( AP903').

There seems to be a pattern here of Draytek AP's and issues with video calls on iphones... yet not a lot reported on this forum it seems.

As I say, Draytek looked into the setup of the 1st system and couldn't find any reason for the issues but there must be some reason for this right ?

Any thoughts / suggestions gratefully received !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2023 00:05 #2 by g6ifs
Try switching WPA3 security off and leaving it on WPA2.
We had a similar problem at work with video breaking up and general performance problems, losing connections etc every time we try WPA3, leaving it on WPA2 and no problems reported at all, it just works. I get the distinct feeling that there is a problem with WPA3 on the AP903's.
Personally I use a AP960 at home with WPA3 on and no problems at all, no idea if it is the same WIFI module though between the AP903 and the AP960.

Neil..

• avmagic
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2023 10:04 #3 by avmagic
Many thanks for your reply Neil but I do believe they are only on WPA2 anyway.... but I'll double check. Cheers, Dan.

More
16 Feb 2023 22:18 #4 by pharcyder
Many posts in this forum about very poor WiFi performance on the APs.....particularly with Apple devices.

I bought 3 AP903 last year. Spent weeks trying to get the Mesh feature working. Literally tried everything including working with Support for days. Got no where, returned for a refund.

In 25 years of Enterprise IT, I have never seen something so badly behaved.

More
21 Feb 2023 21:45 #5 by edinburgh
Have you checked UDP flood defence settings?

The UDP Flood Defense function will drop UDP packets while receiving lots of them. Therefore, too low a threshold will result in UDP packets (IPSec, DNS and, especially in your case Voip) getting dropped.

The default UDP flood threshold is 2,000 packets in 60 seconds, but with faster connections, this should be accordingly increased.

The formula is:

threshold = speed of connection * 1000000 / 8 / MTU

So, for a connection of 60Mbps, the threshold should be 5,000 packets, rather than 2,000, which is the default. For faster connections, the threshold should be higher. I have no idea why 2,000 is the default value, but I suppose this option is disabled by default so it doesn't matter unless you enable it because you're concerned about security.

I believe increasing the threshold will stop/minimise your client's/clients' calls dropping. Please report back if it has.

Moderators: Sami