DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP903 Mesh Issues

More
04 Mar 2023 12:16 #1 by colni
AP903 Mesh Issues was created by colni
Hi All,

I recently purchased 2 x AP903's to setup as a mesh and replace a single AP900 , however im having some really bad issues with devices dropping off the wifi and general bad issues with connecting to the AP's webgui , depending which AP im connected to.

Below is my current topology

1 x Vigor 2862ac - firemware 3.9.9
2 x Vigor AP903 - firmware 1.4.8

Mesh setup
Vigor 2862ac as mesh root
Both Vigor AP903 in mesh node wired

Yesterday when walking round the office i noticed the following ;

When connected to the Vigor 2862ac i could get to either Vigor AP903 web gui (tho it does have that annoying bug where it tries to redirect you to https://login.asp and i have to manually edit the url to the ip of the device)

When connected to mesh node 1 , i can connect to the Vigor 2862ac web gui but i cant connect to either of the Vigor AP903 web gui's
When connected to mesh node 2 , i can connect to the Vigor 2862ac and mesh node 2 web gui but i cant connect to mesh node 1 web gui.

Is this normal? The draytek wireless app for android would just crash repeatly which also made me think something is wrong.

I noticed on the draytek website for AP903 the firmware shows as 1.4.7 (https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigorap-903) , should i roll back?
This morning i noticed firmware 1.4.9 is available, but i dont see any reference on the draytek website?

Finally , having the 2862ac as mesh root only allows me basic configuration of the AP's as a mesh.
Im planning to replace the 2862ac as i see its EOL , however it would be nice if the 2862ac support advances mesh config ( such as being able to set the min RSSI for roaming)

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2023 09:18 #2 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: AP903 Mesh Issues
A lot of these issues are well documented as 'not working as expected' in this forum. Many of us gave up trying to make Mesh work. Support struggled getting this working for me. Not a good sign so I gave up too.

The only thing I ever got working with Mesh was making the AP903 the Mesh root....which is not what I wanted.

What I never got working was iOS devices - they always disconnected with 'Incorrect Password' error randomly.

More
06 Mar 2023 17:59 #3 by colni
Replied by colni on topic Re: AP903 Mesh Issues
That's very disappointing 😕

I did find that forcing the AP903's to WPA2 stopped a lot of the drop outs but it's still not perfect as I can't access the gui (or ssh ) when on different nodes

More
15 Jan 2024 16:06 #4 by munchin
Replied by munchin on topic Re: AP903 Mesh Issues
I'd stay on WPA2 and turn off WPA3 as router 2862 (I have it too) does not offer WPA3 and I found my laptop within 2m of 2862 preferred to connect to very weak WPA3. So I've turned off WPA3 on laptop too.

Not that this helps your issue....sorry I cannot help here.

Also - I'm no expert on 5G but I set this to be on same LAN as everything else on router VLAN config.

I know Ive had a few issues since adding AP903 but I'm not using mesh as I also have AP800 that does not do mesh.
I've decided to stick with my config as I see no advantage of mesh for me.
But all sorted now for me....see my post "advice please" if of any interest.