DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VigorAP 960c 2.4GHz Wifi speed only 54mbps

• jfannon
  • Topic Author
More
30 May 2023 11:30 #1 by jfannon
We have a VigorAP 960c that we are using alongside a Vigor 2866ax. We have set up 4 SSIDs on 2.4Ghz WLAN (as we don't want to use 5GHz yet) on both using the same settings (except channel) and have found recently that the wifi speed on the 960c seems to be limited to 54mbps.

The 960c is using:
  • WPA3/WPA2 Personal for security with AES.

• Channel 2 (extension channel 6) - we have tried other channels and the "auto-select" option.

• Defaults for all other settings.

• 5Ghz WLAN is disabled.

There is very little interference on any of the channels and the devices are within 2m of the 960c, which is ceiling mounted.

With the same settings on the 2866ax, we are getting 150mbps+ wifi speed with the same devices when in the same room as the router.

I have raised with support, who so far have not provided a resolution, so I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed if 2.4Ghz WLAN is limited to 54mbps on their 960c?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jfannon
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jun 2023 11:35 #2 by jfannon
We have now tried various settings on the 960c and have not been able to resolve the issue of the 2.4Ghz WiFi speed being limited to 54mbps. We have been in contact with Draytek support, but they have so far not provided any resolution.

Given our fairly extensive testing, I suspect this is either a hardware issue (possibly with this unit) or a software/firmware problem on the 960c. Either way, it's not performing as advertised and given the cost of this AP, it looks like we'll be returning under warranty and looking for an alternative AP.

More
08 Jun 2023 23:05 #3 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: VigorAP 960c 2.4GHz Wifi speed only 54mbps
Have you tested with another client?

What mode is it set to?

Are the two bands isolated?

Older wireless clients that only work with WEP or WPA-TKIP security will get a wireless link rate of up to 54Mbps as specified in the IEEE 802.11n standard.

• jfannon
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jun 2023 17:39 #4 by jfannon
Thanks for the response. Yes - I've tested it with multiple clients and they all connect at 54mbps only. These same clients connect to our 2866ax using the same settings at much higher speeds (150mbps+) so it's definitely not the clients.

The mode under General Setup is set to "Mixed(11b+11g+11n+11ax)" and the mode under Security Settings for each SSID is set to "WPA3/WPA2 Personal" and are using AES. We've even run with no security (mode set to None) for testing and still get the same speed, so it's proabbly not the security settings.

We are only using the 2.4Ghz band, the 5Ghz is disabled.

We've tried various channels and also the AutoSelect option (on recommendation from DrayTek) but this also has made no difference. There is very little interference in any case and we still get 54mbps even with the 960c sat next to the client device on a desk.

I personally suspect there's a bug in the firmware, but Draytek have not been very helpful at resolving the issue. So at the moment we are stuck with an expensive AP that is only giving WiFi speeds of older, much cheaper APs!

Unless there's a resolution soon, it will be going back to the supplier under warranty.

More
01 Jul 2023 08:25 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VigorAP 960c 2.4GHz Wifi speed only 54mbps
Have you tried changing security to just WPA2 personal ? Some of my devices don't connect at all if I set it to WPA3/WPA2 personal.

• jfannon
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jul 2023 16:30 #6 by jfannon
To confirm - we have run it with no security (set to None) and clients still only have a maximum of 54 mbps. So it is not related to the security settings.

Moderators: Sami