DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP902 Universal Repeater - problem or misunderstanding

• philguk
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jun 2023 18:41 #1 by philguk
Maybe I'm not understanding what "Universal Repeater" really IS

I'm ASSUMING this mode allows an AP902 (in my case) to connect to my local WIRELESS LAN and then create it's own wireless network. I'm hoping that the LAN ports on the AP902 are also active in this mode so I can use this setup as a wireless BRIDGE too

I have my AP902 defined with a STATIC IP address (so I can always find it on the network)

I attach my AP902 to my network with a LAN cable

I change the mode to Universal Repeater and go through the setup wizard. This duly finds the wireless LAN I want to connect to and, so far as I can tell from the online status panel, it does so (everything is GREEN)

When I finish the setuo, the AP902 restarts and when it does so I can still connect via its static IP

NOW the problem

It is still connected to my LAN via a cable so I start pinging it. All is well until I disconnect the LAN cable. Then it becomes unreachable - as if it has NOT connected to my wireless network affer all (or maybe it HAS done, but has used a different IP address??)

I'm stumped to know what debugging to try next, so I thought I'd ask here in case anyone else has been through the same angst

Thanks

Phil G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2023 12:13 #2 by piste basher
Is the wireless network you want it to connect to in the same IP range as your wired LAN? If it is, then I suspect that you are creating a loop between the wired and wireless connections when you ask it to connect and it is throwing a wobbly, possibly giving itself a different IP to resolve the conflict? Perhaps if you disconnect the LAN cable before letting the AP reboot into its new configuration all would be well?

Personally, I would would still favour the Bridge-WDS configuration as here https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5020 over the repeater setup. This would do what you require.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami