AP Assisted Mobility v mesh

• pcjazzit
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jul 2023 16:20 #1 by pcjazzit
AP Assisted Mobility v mesh was created by pcjazzit
I have read the notes on AP Assisted Mobility in the forum and on the Draytek web site but just want to confirm.

When the current AP decides the client could get a better signal on a from a different AP the first AP will disconnect them so the client can connect to a better signal.

The client will actually see their wifi connection drop and then reconnect.

If they are in an area where there are two similar strength signals from two different AP,s they keep switching from one to the other.. Their wifi keeps dropping out and reconnecting... This is a problem if they are on a Zoom or live meeting.

We have not implemented Mesh as of yet as we need multiple SSID's around the offices and last time we tried it we could only get MESH working with a single SSID... in any case all our AP's are connected via cable to the router.

What is the best way to allow users to roam without being disconnected as they move from AP to AP?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2023 19:34 #2 by craig_s
Replied by craig_s on topic Re: AP Assisted Mobility v mesh
I'm currently using mutiple SSIDs over a Draytek MESH.

Within the settings you can choose to apply thresholds before the AP trys to assist the roaming. These kind of work with default settings but there are other threads suggesting increasing the hysterisis to reduce the constant switching which may occur.

In my use case the limtied interruption whilst switching is sometimes unnoticable, and sometimes a few sec, but far better than the dropped call I would otherwise experience with either wifi calling or Teams.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.