DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2866 5GHz - Channel Bandwidth Setting

More
08 Sep 2023 10:32 #7 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic Re: 2866 5GHz - Channel Bandwidth Setting
Getting more frustrated now...

Latest reponse is asking me to enabled IGMP snooping and isolate SSID's - on the two AP's......because that's bound to change the channel width being presented from the router isn't it?

I was asked to call support - which I've just done, the lady who answered read through the ticket then transferred me to the actual call handler - who never answered and the line just rang until going dead. Absolutely first class.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2023 11:16 #8 by ianfretwell
Latest response now:-

Our engineers confirmed this is known ac hardware limitation. 2.4GHz and 5GHz works on same chip.
They will add a note on future firmware so user is aware. Sorry for the inconvience caused.

So I responded with:-

So they are stating that the 2866Lac is LESS capable than a 2860ac from almost 10 years before? Remember this works properly on the 2860ac.
Are they absolutely sure about that because I would appear to have been mis-sold the product on that basis.
Can I please have this raised internally to somebody like Alex Shuker as this seems absurd.

I really could do with somebody else confirming this behaviour now please - I'm guessing that would potentially be any non-ax 2865/2866/2927 models

Thanks.

More
18 Sep 2023 12:53 #9 by ianfretwell
This is becoming unbelievable - I'm almost convinced they haven't a clue what they're talking about now:-

Thanks Doris,

I’m not sure I understand how your answer:-

The 2.4 and 5Ghz use the same chipset.

answers my question though :-

with 2.4GHz wifi band switched off completely - I am still unable to get anything other than 20MHz channel width from the 5GHz band ?

So what if they use the same chipset – surely the 5GHz band should be able to use it’s full range of capabilities if the 2.4GHz band is switched off?

Ian

More
18 Sep 2023 17:10 #10 by ianfretwell
So several emails back and forth to support later I have these details to report:-

What I am trying to say is to use higher bandwidth on 5Ghz, then 2.4 has to be set to 20/40Mhz. It does not change if you disable 2.4Ghz.
This is a known hardware limitation.

So I queried which devices are affected in this manner, the answer being:-

2135ac/2765ac/2927ac/2865ac/2866ac (and the 'Lac' derivatives)

So maybe the 2766's have escaped this - or maybe they just missed it off the list - hey-ho...
Unfortunately it seems there really has been a step backwards from the 2860 - incredible really. And as far as I'm concerned they've kept that pretty much out of all their documentation which I find very disappointing.

• vigor2800btbbuser
More
11 Feb 2024 12:53 #11 by vigor2800btbbuser
Replied by vigor2800btbbuser on topic Re: 2866 5GHz - Channel Bandwidth Setting

So maybe the 2766's have escaped this - or maybe they just missed it off the list - hey-ho...
Unfortunately it seems there really has been a step backwards from the 2860 - incredible really. And as far as I'm concerned they've kept that pretty much out of all their documentation which I find very disappointing.

I own a 2766ac and according to my phone the 5Ghz band is running at 80Mhz width.

More
11 Feb 2024 12:55 #12 by ianfretwell
Yep, but what is your 2.4GHz set to?