DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Mesh Question. Performance.

• vigor2800btbbuser
  • Topic Author
More
11 Feb 2024 12:48 #1 by vigor2800btbbuser
Mesh Question. Performance. was created by vigor2800btbbuser
The Internet/manual has confused me a bit. :)

Currently I have a Vigor 2766ac router this is connected to a Solwise Ethernet over Power plug in my office. In the living room I have another Solwise Ethernet over Power plug which also does 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz Wifi. I get around 50Mb/s from my broadband. If I do a speed test connected to the 5Ghz Wifi Solwise (SSID is appended with "_ext") plug in the living room, I typically see similar speeds as if I am connected to the router's SSID.

If I dump the Solwise Ethernet over Power solution and go with a Vigor AP 802 in the living room in "Mesh" mode (using the 2766ac as the root). Will I still get matching results on the speed tests? The manual for the 2766ac implies that the AP 802 would have less bandwidth. I assume because it is have to relay all the data back to the 2766ac on the same 5Ghz Wifi?

What I don't want to do is switch to a mesh system if the performance will be worse, as the Solwise device feeds a Amazon Firestick with HDR 4K, a Sky Q box (hardwired) and a Samsung 4K TV (hardwired) with no issues.

While I am here. My 2766ac 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz SSIDs are different (due to have smart bulbs). Will the AP802 echo the 2766ac settings and maintain the different SSIDs?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.