• Topic Author
More
28 Jun 2024 16:54 #1 by simon bingham
Mesh for ALSO for wired backhall was created by simon bingham
ADSL --2765 (house)
mesh ( wifi )
2765(shed) ----wired
server

I have a server in a part of my house that does not have wired access.

I've just installed a 2765 as my home router. I'm very impressed with the product. got it working and a remote access VPN working in quick time

Can a wired connection to 2765(shed) be used if I enable mesh ? Same question can the wired ports be used on a mesh node?

Regards

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2024 09:13 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Mesh for ALSO for wired backhall
As far as I know Vigor routers cannot be configured as mesh nodes, only as root. So I'm not clear what this "mesh" connection shown between your routers is? To use the shed router as a repeater for the house router wouldn't you have to use WDS mode, not mesh? If you want to use a mesh connection to the shed why are you using a router there and not a mesh AP?

As an aside, as the mesh backhaul uses the 5GHz band you need a pretty good connection between the house and the shed for this to work in my experience.

Are there any other AP's forming part of this "mesh" group?

Yes, I believe you can use a wired connection between them, but you say that the shed is not wired, so how is that going to work?

Finally, yes you can use the LAN ports on a mesh node, e.g. an AP, to connect non-wifi devices to the LAN, that's what they're for.

Apologies if I've completely mis-understood your questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.