DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Modem codes for 2762

More
24 Apr 2021 12:18 #13 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Modem codes for 2762

Piste Basher wrote:
It's relevant to your question because the image you posted shows that you have the VLAN tag in the "Service" Box.

But if you want "someone who knows what they are talking about" perhaps you should ask Draytek?

I have asked them, but they don't know themselves, despite this kind of information being published for the 2860 router - see my link.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2021 12:20 #14 by edinburgh

Piste Basher wrote:
It's relevant to your question because the image you posted shows that you have the VLAN tag in the "Service" Box.

But if you want "someone who knows what they are talking about" perhaps you should ask Draytek?

But if you look at Draytek's website or in the manual for the 2762 router (I can't remember), it'll tell you there that if you have it in the service box, then it doesn't matter.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/vigor-2860-vdsl-setup

More
24 Apr 2021 12:42 #15 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Modem codes for 2762

But what you're talking about instead is what chipset DSLAM has. I know what chipset my DSLAM has and is not the same that my router does, but there is nothing I can do about that (at the moment) - it's not like changing the modem code in my router is going to change its chipset from Lantiq (Infineon) to Broadcom, you know.

But the chipset in your modem affects your connection. Known proven fact, if you have a Hauwei cabinet you will encounter issues if you use the the alternative firmwares , you need to stick with the BT official firmware.

The DrayTek router should default to the correct firmwware (modem code) for VDSL2 without any change of settings.

More
24 Apr 2021 13:20 #16 by edinburgh

AdrianH54 wrote:

But what you're talking about instead is what chipset DSLAM has. I know what chipset my DSLAM has and is not the same that my router does, but there is nothing I can do about that (at the moment) - it's not like changing the modem code in my router is going to change its chipset from Lantiq (Infineon) to Broadcom, you know.

But the chipset in your modem affects your connection. Known proven fact, if you have a Hauwei cabinet you will encounter issues if you use the the alternative firmwares , you need to stick with the BT official firmware.

The DrayTek router should default to the correct firmwware (modem code) for VDSL2 without any change of settings.

https://fw.draytek.com.tw/Vigor2762/Fir ... e-note.pdf

And again you're talking nonsense. The reason why Draytek provide different firmware codes is to suit different quality lines. I'm connected to a Broadcom cabinet, but because one (or maybe more) of my neighbours has something that introduces noise on the line, it disconnects me more on the BT firmware than it does on MDM2 or 3 firmware. (I don't actually need to tell you that this is what Draytek would recommend too to try out different types of firmware to suit different lines). However, please point me to a study that shows that a Broadcom-based cabinet will cause issues if I don't use BT firmware ('Known proven fact') - I'll read it with interest and forward it to the chap from Draytek that is dealing with my enquires, as in such cases they shouldn't really be recommending using alternative firmware.

Yes, the router should default to the correct modem code (not firmware!), but that wasn't the question I was asking in the original post. If you can tell me which one it defaults to on the VDSL line, then I'll be very grateful for your response.

Regarding your post with the link, I know you're trying to be helpful - thank you very much - but really, please read my questions with understanding and maybe do a bit of research beforehand, too.

More
24 Apr 2021 13:40 #17 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Modem codes for 2762

And again you're talking nonsense

Perhaps you should read the forums a bit more before you insult people.

Look at the Vigor 130 modem and you would find repeated posts regarding the issue with the cabinets and many more from users of various DrayTek routers. Many folk find that if they are on a Huawei cabinet they can't even get the line to negotiate at all using the alternative firmware. Conversley I connect to an ECI cabinet and the recommended BT approved firmware is hopeless so I use the alternative offering which is perfect.

As you are of such superior intelligence it is a surprise you are having issues. I'll place you on ignore so I don't see your diatriabe.

More
25 Apr 2021 02:28 #18 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Modem codes for 2762

edinburgh wrote:
Does anyone have an idea about modem codes used by DrayTek (for the 2762)?
For example, for the STD firmware, they provide 776d07_772801 & 774307_771801. Which of these is the VDSL or the ADSL modem code, or does it not matter?

I think in your example, that 776d07 is VDSL and 772801 is ADSL. 774307 is VDSL and 771801 is ADSL. I say this, based on what the 2860 GUI shows, cross-referenced to the firmware Release Notes. I also think it automatically selects a VDSL firmware for the VDSL connection and an ADSL firmware for the ADSL connection.

However, there is another mystery (at least for the 2860). The Release Notes document six firmware variants, each of which contain two Modem Codes (one each for VDSL and ADSL). - so twelve in total.

So for my current configuration (VT4), the firmware supposedly contains 579F17 (VDSL) and 573F01 (ADSL). However, "WAN >> General Setup | DSL Modem Code" gives a choice of "Default", "AnnexA_579f17_573f01" or "AnnexA_573807_571701". The latter combo is not mentioned in the Release Notes at all :!: ...
...I can't swear to it, but I'm sure each of the six variants actually contain four Modem Codes, not two (so twenty four in total).

In the absence of any guidance, my approach - as a long-term Virgin Media user, where none of this nonsense applied - was to sit down and just try every 'variant' and measure the result. I just picked the one that gave the fastest download speed :roll: (I also benchmarked the Vigor against the ISP-supplied Fritzbox and the plethora of Huawei's from my short-lived, ill-advised dalliance with TalkTalk)

edinburgh wrote:
it disconnects me more on the BT firmware than it does on MDM2 or 3 firmware.

After selecting my firmware variant, I was left with a slight niggle - in the form of short disconnect/reconnect at roughly the same time every day. (Syslog told me nothing at all...but in great detail!).

I seem to have fixed it, by twiddling with the "VDSL SNR" command. See: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4800

Moderators: Sami