DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL

More
10 Apr 2022 22:06 #13 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL

hornbyp wrote:
I did another test ... with very interesting results...

I have two Zen Internet connections, an 80/20 FTTC (Fibre 2) connection at home and a 40/10? (Fibre 1) connection to a holiday home.
I idly wondered, what would happen if I typed the Fibre 1 connection's credentials into my 2860n, here at Mission Control...

Unexpectedly, the line came up - complete with my usual fixed IP address. However, a speed test revealed that I was being rate-capped to 40Mbps - so it was using the parameters associated with the other account.

Presumably, then the converse will be true and I can get a free upgrade to the Fibre 1 connection, simply by typing in the parameters for the Fibre 2 one :o

I can't try it until I visit, due to my long standing inability to access the Zyxel Modem that is used by the Vigor 2830n to make its FTTC connection at the remote site.

Interesting. So, for a second home, one could probably get the cheapest package available and then use the credentials from the other package to get a better Internet connection while one is holidaying there. Of course, this wouldn't be possible if you used different ISPs to get the Internet from.

So, the line is centrally capped, rather than locally.

Very interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2022 01:08 #14 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL

edinburgh wrote:
So, for a second home, one could probably get the cheapest package available and then use the credentials from the other package to get a better Internet connection while one is holidaying there.

Seems that way :wink:

I'll know more, when I'm next there. (I had a trip down on my motorcycle, to take those all important April 1st Electricity meter readings - and was caught by a BLIZZARD on Bodmin Moor. Lovely :roll: )

Although my perception was that both connections were active at the same time - using the same credentials, ThinkBroadBand noticed a 'glitch':-
(The bottom one is to be expected - that was the 2860n rebooting multiple times.)

More
11 Apr 2022 13:02 #15 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL
> (I had a trip down on my motorcycle, to take those all important April 1st Electricity meter readings - and was caught by a BLIZZARD on Bodmin Moor. Lovely :roll: )

We get some snow up here, but not as much as we used to. I miss snow.

Although I took my reading too, I'm not too sure if the advice given by Martin Lewis was to apply to everyone or only those on standard tariffs. We're on a fixed tariff so I presume it means what it means.

Do you mean that red solitary bit of a line on the first graph? Interestingly, it corresponds to your dropped connection in the second graph. More less, though. So, I think you'd need to do more testing to see if it's relevant.

Anyways, we're getting Openreach engineer number 14 this Wed... but Virgin Media are installing fibre to premises around here in June, so let's hope Openreach pull up their socks a bit, as if there is no competition around, this makes one very complacent.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2022 18:37 #16 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL

edinburgh wrote:
Do you mean that red solitary bit of a line on the first graph?

Yes.

and he wrote:
Interestingly, it corresponds to your dropped connection in the second graph. More less, though. So, I think you'd need to do more testing to see if it's relevant.

Yes, it looks like the Fibre 1 connection might have 'noticed' the imposter - but I don't know if it was a quick 'glitch' - or if it stopped working while the doppelganger was present. Definitely more testing required :D

finally, he wrote:
Virgin Media are installing fibre to premises around here in June

I was a VM customer for almost 20 years; I would go back to them in a trice (if I could)