DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL

More
10 Apr 2022 09:30 #7 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL

Piste Basher wrote:
I was under the impression that the DSL modem settings were only "active" for ADSL mode - on a VDSL line it makes no difference what is set in there, PPPoA or PPPoE?

I tried "Ping detect" a while back - a potential downside might be using bandwidth on a metered connection?

You're right that they're selected automatically. However, on sone lines, especially bad ones like mine, selecting the 'correct' settings can speed up the process of connection. For example, because of the problems that I'm experiencing, the router wanted once or twice to negotiate an ADSL connection on a VDSL line. So, if the OP has some problems, I thought with the right settings, it may help. Plus, the other VDSL settings will be important, too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2022 09:47 #8 by edinburgh

Piste Basher wrote:
I was under the impression that the DSL modem settings were only "active" for ADSL mode - on a VDSL line it makes no difference what is set in there, PPPoA or PPPoE?

I tried "Ping detect" a while back - a potential downside might be using bandwidth on a metered connection?

Given that metered connections are usually in GB, and not in kB, I don't think it matters.

More
10 Apr 2022 09:47 #9 by edinburgh

Piste Basher wrote:

Given that metered connections are usually in GB, and not in kB, I don't think it matters. Plus, doesn't IP detect not use some data either? Surely, a request would need to be sent, and received, either way.

More
10 Apr 2022 16:17 #10 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL
I was idly curious, so I tried them. No discernible difference :)

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/internet/difference-between-pppoe-and-pppoa/

It's coming back to me, as to why I chose "Ping Detect" - I thought it was a better test, of a line that was truly "up" and functional.

More
10 Apr 2022 17:00 #11 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL
I did another test ... with very interesting results...

I have two Zen Internet connections, an 80/20 FTTC (Fibre 2) connection at home and a 40/10? (Fibre 1) connection to a holiday home.
I idly wondered, what would happen if I typed the Fibre 1 connection's credentials into my 2860n, here at Mission Control...

Unexpectedly, the line came up - complete with my usual fixed IP address. However, a speed test revealed that I was being rate-capped to 40Mbps - so it was using the parameters associated with the other account.

Presumably, then the converse will be true and I can get a free upgrade to the Fibre 1 connection, simply by typing in the parameters for the Fibre 2 one :o

I can't try it until I visit, due to my long standing inability to access the Zyxel Modem that is used by the Vigor 2830n to make its FTTC connection at the remote site.

More
10 Apr 2022 18:09 #12 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2862 - Not connecting to Zen vDSL

hornbyp wrote:
I was idly curious, so I tried them. No discernible difference :)

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/internet/difference-between-pppoe-and-pppoa/

It's coming back to me, as to why I chose "Ping Detect" - I thought it was a better test, of a line that was truly "up" and functional.

That reminds me of why I tried "Ping Detect" - I'd noticed that with PPP detect the router (at that time) would think that the line was "up" but I had no internet access....

Moderators: Sami