2862ac constantly reboots on UK faulty BT line

• khy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Sep 2022 10:25 #1 by khy
Hi,

Can a 2862ac constantly reboot itself - not just drop the line - on an admittedly, faulty BT line?
The 2862ac does a complete power off/on - all the lights goes off and on and I have to relog back on to the home page.

The 2862ac is on latest version firmware (3.9.8.1_BT).

I have changed the PSU with another Draytek supplied one => no effect.

It is not overheating - confirmed by checking the environment temperature and also added external fans.

There does not seem to be any pattern (time, day, usage, overheating) of the reboots.

BT are coming to fix the line and I wondering whether I may also have a faulty 2862ac as well?

Apart of swapping out the modem/router is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2022 18:36 #2 by desquinn
wiping the config (rst file) and recreating it would be worth trying. do not have any usb pen disks plugged in.

Des Quinn

• khy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2022 08:35 #3 by khy
Thanks for input. I will give that go as my configuration is pretty simple.

More
22 Sep 2022 21:03 #4 by edinburgh
I believe it can. I had a faulty line for a very long period of time, and I observed some strange behaviour from my 2762:

- occasional reboots
- once or twice, the entire configuration was wiped out (as if the router was reset to factory defaults); I thought I was hacked, but after changing the config password, it happened once more
- during periods of noise, the WiFi would become unusable (especially 2.4 GHz) and the connection would eventually grind to a halt, resulting in a loss of sync with the DSLAM equipment

I too thought that my Draytek was overheating, hence the reboots and reset to the factory defaults.

I complained on this forum several times that my 2762 didn't handle my noisy line well, especially when I compare this to how my Fritzbox and Zyxel handled the connection. This is regardless of the type of modem code used. Whether my Draytek was faulty or not - I don't know. My assumption was that it was ok and that it just doesn't handle noisy lines well.

The best approach is to fix the line. I have an experience of dealing with Openreach for 1.5 years trying to get them to fix my line, so if you need any advice, please do let me know. (Eventually, they fixed it, but it was a very long, complex and exhausting 1.5 years.)

Of course, there can be lots of other reasons for reboots.

• khy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2022 21:38 #5 by khy
Thanks for the input. I may have to reach out to you for advice on getting BT to fix my line. At the moment I am still waiting for them to come out.

On my BT line I am not getting a dial tone at all so no phone calls, but my 2862ac still manages to connects at a relatively healthy 70-74mbs down 18-19mbs up.

When the 2862ac is connected, performance is fine but it can reboot 5-6 times a day. Obviously, this is a major problem when you try to have a video conference session.

More
22 Sep 2022 22:38 #6 by edinburgh
If you're getting no dial tone but your router connects, this may be indicative of a problematic extension/wiring if you're not connected to the master socket.