Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862ac constantly reboots on UK faulty BT line

• khy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Sep 2022 09:00 #7 by khy
I am connecting straight to the master socket. There are no external filters or extensions in the house.

As of recently, it has been working without any problems for more than 5 years and connection speed is normally mid 70mbs.

The only thing that has changed has been external - City Fibre dug up phone line in the street, BT patched back up and then things went downhill thereafter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2022 13:49 #8 by edinburgh

khy wrote:
I am connecting straight to the master socket. There are no external filters or extensions in the house.

As of recently, it has been working without any problems for more than 5 years and connection speed is normally mid 70mbs.

The only thing that has changed has been external - City Fibre dug up phone line in the street, BT patched back up and then things went downhill thereafter.

Then, I presume, there's an external fault. If there is one, it'll show on the tester Openreach will use when testing your connection. What's your connection's stats by the way?

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
24 Sep 2022 14:26 #9 by mbames

khy wrote:
On my BT line I am not getting a dial tone at all so no phone calls, but my 2862ac still manages to connects at a relatively healthy 70-74mbs down 18-19mbs up.

I've had this on my work line at home. xDSL worked fine - it only required one of the two wires of the pair to connected to work, apparently - but both are required for voice. A BT engineer has been up the pole doing some other work in the junction box at the top and dislodged something. As it was a business line when I reported it, BT were back and resolved it in a matter of hours.

More
24 Sep 2022 15:47 #10 by edinburgh

mbames wrote:

khy wrote:
On my BT line I am not getting a dial tone at all so no phone calls, but my 2862ac still manages to connects at a relatively healthy 70-74mbs down 18-19mbs up.

I've had this on my work line at home. xDSL worked fine - it only required one of the two wires of the pair to connected to work, apparently - but both are required for voice. A BT engineer has been up the pole doing some other work in the junction box at the top and dislodged something. As it was a business line when I reported it, BT were back and resolved it in a matter of hours.

You need two wires as a minimum; not sure who told you about only needing one, but they were wrong. There used to be three wires at the socket, but now that third one, which is the bell wire, is no longer used because few use analogue phones.

• khy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Sep 2022 22:49 #11 by khy
BT actually came out yesterday and located physical a(the) fault on the line - City Fibre nicked my cable coming into my house, thus killing the dial tone.

Once fixed was fixed both the 2862ac and the line has been up for more 30 hours.

So, in conclusion, I guess a physical fault on the line can reboot the 2862ac.

@edinburgh, my line stats are as follows if you are still interested:

ATU-R Information
Type: VDSL2
Hardware: Annex A
Firmware: 07-07-09-05-01-07
Power Mngt Mode: DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Line State: SHOWTIME
Running Mode: 17A
Vendor ID: 00000000 00000000
ATU-C Information
Vendor ID: b5004244 434dc190 [BDCM]
Line Statistics

Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate 78602 Kbps 19999 Kbps
Attainable Rate 78897 Kbps 30777 Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1
Actual PSD 7. 8 dB 14. 0 dB
Near End Far End
Trellis ON ON
Bitswap ON ON
ReTx 1 1
SNR Margin 3 dB 12 dB
Attenuation 25 dB 35 dB
CRC 0 6408
FECS 0 s 31201 s
ES 0 s 1493 s
SES 0 s 275 s
LOSS 0 s 1 s
UAS 184 s 120666 s
HEC Errors 0 0
RS Corrections 0 0
LOS Failure 2 0
LOF Failure 0 0
LPR Failure 0 2
NCD Failure 0 0
LCD Failure 0 0
NFEC 32 32
RFEC 16 16
LYSMB 16 16

Thanks.

More
25 Sep 2022 23:00 #12 by edinburgh
Your interleaving is on, suggesting that there's an issue on the line (either permanent and difficult to fix, or temporary, needing fixed, or as a result of an issue having been fixed).

Also, unusually, you have ReTx on the upstream, in addition to downstream. The usual is to keep it on on downstream only, unless there's still an issue on the line (outbursts of noise).

I'm also confused by your SNR: 3dB and 12dB; the usual on a FTTC line is <=6dB for downstream and 6dB for upstream, unless there's a reason to keep the SNR up for upstream, too.

It may be that your line needs reset after the fault was fixed, or that the fault is still there but DSLAM equipment is applying specific measures to compensate for that.