DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn VOIP - Call Temrinated but does not hangup

• felicitous
  • Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2009 23:40 #1 by felicitous
I have a Draytel account with an 0845 number.

I have set my Vigor 2820Vn up and all VOIP features work EXCEPT

When I make a call to my SIP (draytel) provided 0845 (using another normal PSTN phone not connected via the 2820Vn) it connects just fine and conversation can take place. However when I terminate the call from the calling phone my SOMETHING / Vigor does not recognise the call has terminated.

The phone connected to the 2820Vn starts to give me the engaged tone. This continues until I physically terminate the call at the receiving (2820Vn) end.

This is not much good if I am not at home.

Model Name : Vigor2820Vn
Firmware Version : 3.3.2.1_232201
Build Date/Time : Jul 24 2009 16:48:40
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Annex A

Any ideas what might be wrong please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• felicitous
  • Topic Author
More
01 Sep 2009 19:30 #2 by felicitous
Replied by felicitous on topic 2820Vn VOIP - Call Temrinated but does not hangup
I was probably not as clear on one point as I should have been. When I am not at home the answer machine kicks in and answers the call, records a message and then records the continuous engaged tone until the 3 minutes of answer machine recording capacity per call runs out :o(

More
07 Sep 2009 15:18 #3 by jrothlis
I have this issue as well.

• felicitous
  • Topic Author
More
07 Sep 2009 17:53 #4 by felicitous
Replied by felicitous on topic Draytek Support - And a Simple Proof
I am currently talking (Email) to Draytek support on this issue.

But to cut out some of the complexity. If you attach a handset to VOIP Port 1 and another handset to VOIP Port2. You can dial between the ports by dialling 10 for port 1 and 20 for port 2.

From Handset 2 dial 10.
Answer the call on Handset 1.
> Call Established :o)

Terminate the call from Handset 2.
Handset 1 will now hear the engaged tone rather than terminating the call :o(

A proof that avoids all the complexities of SIP accounts/providers/numbers etc etc. This seems to be internal to the Vigor 2820Vn.

I guess we wait for help from Draytek support.

PS. I cant take credit for this proof a friend who also has a Vigor 2820Vn helped out.

• felicitous
  • Topic Author
More
10 Sep 2009 00:01 #5 by felicitous
Replied by felicitous on topic Response TO Draytek Support
In the UK the BUSY TONE, (what the Draytek gives on handset down), is not the recognised standard call termination tone.

My Expectation is the standard UK tone as given by a standard UK landline i.e.The normal handset down tone is: a continuous tone, followed by continuous silence on the line.

Tech Spec of the continuous tone is:

Range = 0dBm to -37dBm
Tone Composition = 400Hz (+/-5%)
Cadence = Continuous

The easy demonstration of this is by simply calling a standard BT landline with a normal handset and listen to the results when you hang up.

There are a whole set of consistent standards published from ITU, BSI and BT which cover this area. I am assuming the Draytek conforms to these given it is being marketed in the UK. I suspect Draytek has these standards to hand and is probably more adept at reading them than me.

The BT conformance spec for equipment on UK networks is SIN350 available from a simple Google search as (350v1p3.pdf).

• felicitous
  • Topic Author
More
10 Sep 2009 00:05 #6 by felicitous
Replied by felicitous on topic Draytek Supports Response
To be fair I am getting a fair turnaround from support. Here is the latest response. I report the responses here to help others who may have a similar issue.

================ DRAYTEK SUPPORT RESPONSE FOLLOWS:

"Having looked into this, it does seem that the Busy tone is used when the call ends. Could you change the busy tone in the VoIP, Phone Settings, Advanced page so that it is still 400hz but set the "T on 1" and "T off 1" settings from 375 to 0 so that the tone is continuous. This should then be the same as the tone used by a UK line.

You are right that the busy tone used is not the correct one to emulate a UK landline, I assume this has not been much of an issue for most users because it is not used with an answering machine often, which would obviously require the line to act as a standard line does."

=================