Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

PSTN function of IPPBX 2820

• enhanced
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jan 2010 20:51 #7 by enhanced
Replied by enhanced on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
I purchased IPPBX 2820 yesterday along with the Draytek 350 IP Phone, all based on a lot of what I read on various sites and the features Draytek boasts it has. I looked particularly at the schematics which clearly shows access to PSTN \ POTS. I received them today and have to say the lack of clear documentation regarding the PSTN \ POTS usage has left somewhat dissapointed with my purchase, especially as I was counting on it working.

When Draytek mentions POTS Failover you automatically think you can use the analog port for calls, especially when you look at the schematics on Drayteks website. You would also think it could be an ISDN failover too, so if the ISDN is not in use or has failed and your not using SIP or the internet is down you would have access to the analog port for making \ receving calls, to me it should be an essential feature for being able to contact emergency services.

If this was added as a feature in the VERY near future I think this product will be the perfect small business or startup business all in one product but more importantly Draytek wont have a load of dissapointed customers on its hands.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2010 09:07 #8 by admin
Replied by admin on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
The UK site is clear on this issue. The TW site needs to be clarified
but as John said, the feature may be under development anyway.

Forum Administrator

More
01 Feb 2010 11:58 #9 by andyfinp
Replied by andyfinp on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
Having just purchased an IPPBX recently, and being very new to VOIP, I hope very much that Draytek release a firmware patch that allows inbound and outbound calls to be made via the analogue port.

I bought the unit hoping to use both analogue and VOIP to route calls, ostensibly to have calls come in on the single analogue line and then use the 2820 as an office PBX - the business I bought it for doesn't receive many calls and at this stage the saving from VOIP is not a significant factor - I just wanted a cheap phone system that would serve up to five people, plus allow for some remote working using VOIP.

The site it's being used on doesn't have great broadband, maximum 0.5 MB download, so I'm pretty nervous about implementing this thing now without the backup of the analogue line (which from my research and the schematics did look like it was available for use)

All I can ask is that this is looked at as a potential upgrade sooner rather than later as it would make the unit much more marketable for small business.

More
01 Feb 2010 12:14 #10 by doubledutch
Replied by doubledutch on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
Hi Andy (I'm also in Preston!)

We returned our IPPBX because in our opinion the firmware is not ready - it crashed twice whilst demonstrating it to customers!!! It crashed a lot during calls, when you wanted to change the IVR prompts and when we have a busy network - it could in no way replace our current pbx OR router. That said, I'm sure with time it will get much better - But being released with such buggy firmware will do nothing for Drayteks normally excellent reputation.

It also appears that the 2820 side of the system has less features than the current 2820 (which was pretty annoying) - anyone have any ideas why?

More
01 Feb 2010 13:39 #11 by andyfinp
Replied by andyfinp on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
That doesn't bode well - I'm implementing the ippbx into my sisters bookkeeping business on Saturday and the last thing I need is to waste several hundred pounds of her hard earned cash on something that will damage her reputation by crashing.

I've had numerous instances where the IP Phone 350 has crashed, particularly when trying to manipulate calls (holding\transferring) but I've been blaming myself for these, but when I look back I've no reason to do so.

Anyone out there had a good experience with an IPPBX 2820, or is anyone from Draytek able to comment? I've had good service from your kit so far and bought this unit with that in mind.

More
01 Feb 2010 14:48 #12 by doubledutch
Replied by doubledutch on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
Instead of the IPPBX we are now using TrixBox (on a throw-away pc) and Linksys SPA9xx phones. All through a 2820 with no problems at all with ANY of the kit crashing (we didn't dare use the 2820ippbx after the first few crashes). For the VOIP service we use voipfone and no problems there either (voip also have a cheap virtual pbx system, be we use them as a SIP gateway).

Most companies that have ippbx systems don't expect them to crash and if Draytek is going to compete with the other pbx manufacturers they really need to get the firmware sorted and feature packed as soon as possible.