Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Call Quality - Advice Wanted

• aseaton
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2011 13:05 #1 by aseaton
Call Quality - Advice Wanted was created by aseaton
Hi Guys,

Looking at putting in a VigorIPPBX 3510, mainly to replace our now outdated Avaya system. We would be looking to use SIP for the outbound calls, and also have a few legacy analoge lines coming in.

Just wanted feedback from users who are using it (you guys!) on the call quality - both on phones, softphones and (most importantally) over the DrayTel sip. What are peoples experinces of call quality - I would want it to be as good as a "normal" phone line.

Thanks in advance for your advice and thougths.

Regards,

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2011 14:12 #2 by skyclad
Replied by skyclad on topic Re: Call Quality - Advice Wanted
We've just put a system in (IP PBX 3510 and Vigorphone 350) and can't complain about the call quality.

Not as clear as Skype on a PC - but it's equal if not better than 'normal' phone lines.

More
16 May 2011 14:29 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Call Quality - Advice Wanted
There's no reason it shouldn't be as clear as Skype, other than the quality of your phone, as they both use SIP (Skype uses a mangled version but the tech is the same). In fact, whereason Skype your call bounces around all sorts of nodes, a SIP-to-SIP call without Skype goes end to end. If it's a PSTN call, the quality should again be the same, or better on the PBX...so it could just be your phone.

Forum Administrator

More
16 May 2011 15:24 #4 by skyclad
Replied by skyclad on topic Re: Call Quality - Advice Wanted

admin wrote: There's no reason it shouldn't be as clear as Skype, other than the quality of your phone, as they both use SIP (Skype uses a mangled version but the tech is the same). In fact, whereason Skype your call bounces around all sorts of nodes, a SIP-to-SIP call without Skype goes end to end. If it's a PSTN call, the quality should again be the same, or better on the PBX...so it could just be your phone.

I think the imortant point in my comments is really the "on a PC" part. The small, single speaker in the phone is never going to offer the same quality as the 3 speaker setup on my PC. No doubt if I was using a softphone on the PC the quality would be just as good as Skype.

Let me be totally clear that we have no complaints about the quality of the calls - much much better than our old PSTN lines - notably a complete lack of the hiss, pops and whistles that we had been putting up with in the past - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an IP solution (and a DreyTel/DrayTek one specifically) on this basis.

More
16 May 2011 15:49 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Call Quality - Advice Wanted
No problem...understood - I said it was probably just your phone :-)

Forum Administrator

• aseaton
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2011 15:54 #6 by aseaton
Replied by aseaton on topic Re: Call Quality - Advice Wanted
Thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

Do you have the phones on the same LAN as your network, or do you seperate them ?