DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytel SIP provider call quality(appears to us to be)POOR !

More
31 Oct 2012 07:27 #13 by admin
Well, you (apparently) haven't tried a different SIP provider and have not tried DrayTEL at a different location..so without any other evidence, and my contrary experiences, I think your conclusions are unjustified, and I'm disappointed that my attempt to be helpful was met with such scorn and ingratitude ! Quite possibly your IP route to DrayTEL is congested/problematic and the location of another provider might work better, but guessing isn't very scientific.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kez
  • Topic Author
More
31 Oct 2012 09:14 #14 by kez
*** Hi, I don't want to talk to u !!!! ***

Can u leave the post to me and others. Whats the point in ur getting agitated ! We don't agree. Lets each go in our different directions. Leave me to my post please. PLEASE !!!!?

Does anyone out out there know of a rock solid SIP trunk provider that is not Draytel ?

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
09 Nov 2012 21:52 #15 by asimm.it
hi kez,

sorry your having issues.

i could provide you with some if you want to get in touch just send me a message

cheers

More
17 Nov 2012 01:14 #16 by ridgemagnet
I would go with Sipgate. They are big and a reliable provider with good support but more expensive than Draytel. I also use Callcentric who are excellent, but that's just so I have a US phone number in the UK.

If you find you have exactly the same problems with them then I would eat your pride and put in a ticket to Draytel support from your account panel. I had similar issues with Draytel, couldn't get through occasionally, wouldn't ring etc., grotty call quality and they were extremely diligent in sorting it out and eliminating all causes of issues. Probably one of the best engineers I have dealt with and very prompt support. They are based in London... and know their stuff. Amazing considering how little money they charge that their support is so good.

I have a fair bit of experience of both using VOIP extensively in a large corporate and configuring it. Even with dedicated circuits between offices on megabit lines with guaranteed quality and millions of dollars of investment it still can suffer from poor call quality and drop outs. I have listened to enough calls where everyone sounds like they are gargling while talking..... I've actually gone back to BT PSTN in my house for my main line after using VOIP for a while. If you are spending ~£100 per month on your internet connection then you might have sufficient quality for VOIP, any less and it won't be reliable enough IMHO because it is probably a home product in disguise.

And if anyone has managed to get VOIP working with no call quality issues ever, then please post here :-)

• kez
  • Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2012 14:05 #17 by kez
Wow thank u for your detailed response

:)

Have trialed Sipgate and almost always get a line immediately.
Where as that is not the case with Draytel.

Have to agree with u : Draytel support is exceptional and very helpful.

Thank u again....

Ke z

More
18 Nov 2012 15:56 #18 by admin
It's strange (or ambiguous) to say you "get a line immediately" - that's not really a SIP/VoIP concept - there is no 'line' and no dialtone. Those were leftovers of the analogue era. A SIP phone is always registered. If there is a dialtone ever, it's something the local phone plays to humour you! (some devices use dialtone to indicate that the phone is registered).

Forum Administrator