DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BX2000 - issues

• ncollingridge
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jan 2018 19:59 #1 by ncollingridge
BX2000 - issues was created by ncollingridge
Despite not getting an answer to my previous post I decided to go ahead and get a BX2000 as it seemed like a good migration route from PSTN to VOIP. However I have a number of issues!

Firstly, the call quality from the PSTN line (which when used with an analogue phone is totally clean with no background noise) is quite frankly atrocious. I have tried both variants of G.711, and also G.729 and G.726 and they all sound rubbish with muffled voices and horrible background mush. This is whether I am using a VOIP phone connected to the BX2000 or simply letting a call go to voicemail and listening to the resulting message. I cannot believe that anyone is actually using this device to run a small office - the call quality is just not acceptable. Is it any better for a pure VOIP call?

I have to say the user manual is little or no help. It is by far the worst Draytek manual I have ever used, and the VOIP section is pretty useless in helping you to set the BX2000 up. For example, I had to work out how to get the VOIP phone to make an outgoing call; this involved going through Dial Plan->Digit Map to establish a prefix number for outside calls which can then be mapped to the PSTN line, but this is not at all well explained or obvious. Anyone who reads it critically would have to admit that it is cryptic to the point of being obstructive in some areas.

One other thing that I cannot fathom is how to get music to play on hold, which is for some bizarre reason in the section for setting the SIP Proxy. The manual says "Check the box to enable the function of music on hold. Then choose the music file (from user prompts) to play in turn." But the pop-up menu alongside the first Play label just says None, and when you click on it this doesn't change. No user prompt appears as the manual suggests. This problem is also present for the Waiting Music which you apparently set separately for incoming calls. There is some confusing text about this but I think I have got this right.

Another final gripe for this post is that having succeeded in setting it so that the VOIP phone can initiate outgoing calls, when you dial a number from this phone you don't get any audible feedback that the call is connecting, just silence until well after the call starts ringing on the phone that has been called. Interestingly the background "mush" on the line starts as soon as the ringing tone starts to sound, so it is presumably a function of the digitisation of the analogue PSTN line.

I think this is enough for now but I have to say I am not impressed by this product so far. It seems unfinished, with a UI which is very obtuse in places and the manual is certainly very poor and could do with a wholesale re-write, ideally by a native English speaker!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2018 09:14 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: BX2000 - issues

I have to say the user manual is little or no help

There are lots of articles in the online UK knowledgebase and tech support can answer most questions.

Forum Administrator

• ncollingridge
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jan 2018 09:34 #3 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: BX2000 - issues

admin wrote:

I have to say the user manual is little or no help

There are lots of articles in the online UK knowledgebase and tech support can answer most questions.

I have looked at the articles in the UK knowledgebase and they have assisted somewhat as far as they go, but there are many topics which are not addressed there. I still think that the manual should be much better than it is - it shouldn't be necessary to have to seek out answers online because the manual is obtuse.

I will also email this post to support but once again in my very humble view I don't think it should be necessary to bother tech support with basic setup questions that should be answered by the manual.

More
15 Jan 2018 10:12 #4 by admin

ncollingridge wrote: it shouldn't be necessary to have to seek out answers online

Well, IMHO, in 2018, a dynamic, continuously updated/expanded online resource is far more useful than a fixed manual. Some products don't have manuals at all these days.

I still think that the manual should be much better than it is

Possibly, but I expect few people read it!

in my very humble view I don't think it should be necessary to bother tech support with basic setup questions that should be answered by the manual.

I'm not sure you've asked any basic setup questions here. No ring tone, quality of POTS calls etc. ( you have a microfilter on the POTS line input ?)

Forum Administrator

• ncollingridge
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jan 2018 10:21 #5 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: BX2000 - issues
You're not helping. I am now thinking that maybe I should just return the product and be done with it.

More
15 Jan 2018 11:20 #6 by admin

ncollingridge wrote: You're not helping.....

That's why I said to contact support - they may have simple answers to the issues... or don't contact support and give up, as you've suggested.

Forum Administrator