DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BX2000 - issues

• ncollingridge
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jan 2018 18:53 #13 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: BX2000 - issues

admin wrote: I typed 'Music on Hold' into the search box.

Good for you. I selected BX2000 as the product and "Feature Setup" from the pop-up menu. I didn't see a title in the resulting search results that referred to music on hold. I am very very sorry that I didn't use the knowledgebase in the way that you would have preferred.

admin wrote: Seems like a good test.

Great, I'll try one now that you suggest it. I didn't previously because an analogue phone was not part of my intended use of the system and seemed redundant when moving to VOIP internal extensions, so I therefore had no reason to try one. But if you think it will assist in the diagnostic process then I will try it.

admin wrote: The question wasn't because of signal interference but that shielded cables can be earthed as you've now said.

So what exactly are you saying here? Are you saying that one should definitely be providing an earth to a system that has no obvious provision for it, and when the manual does not in any way suggest that this is required? Please elucidate as I don't know exactly how to read your comment here.

7. I am on the very latest (3.8.1.7) firmware after being advised to try this by tech support, but it has not addressed the problem and I still have rubbish quality on the FX ports. I am beginning to wonder if I have a faulty BX2000.

Possibly, but I'd try an analogue phone to narrow it down.

Will do and will report back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2018 19:24 #14 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: BX2000 - issues

ncollingridge wrote: So what exactly are you saying here? Are you saying that one should definitely be providing an earth to a system that has no obvious provision for it, and when the manual does not in any way suggest that this is required? Please elucidate as I don't know exactly how to read your comment here.

No, I am not saying that.... I'm saying that earthing can something make a difference, perhaps if a differential has crept in somewhere due to specific topology.

Forum Administrator

• gscott99
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jan 2018 13:27 #15 by gscott99
Replied by gscott99 on topic Re: BX2000 - issues
Sorry to hear the problem remains. Earthing the BX2000 certainly made a huge improvement for me. Your symptoms sound exactly the same as I had prior to adding an earth.

It might be worth trying a firmware upgrade on the handset. It's helped compatibilty with the Vtech handsets I used.

Also, what's your phone socket like ? Is it a NTE5c with 2 connections - RJ11 and BT plug ? Might be worth taking the face plate off and trying at the test socket with and without a filter.

cheers, Gordon

• gscott99
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jan 2018 13:29 #16 by gscott99
Replied by gscott99 on topic Re: BX2000 - issues
I meant to say earlier that there is a diagnostics section in the PBX part of the web interface. Perhaps running the tests for dial tone etc will shed some light on the matter?

• oakserver
  • User
  • User
More
06 Mar 2018 23:07 #17 by oakserver
Replied by oakserver on topic Re: BX2000 - issues
For what it's worth, I used to experience similar PSTN voice problems, particularly relating to echo and hearing your own voice as you talk with a Fritz!box router that had DECT and PSTN capability. In the end I gave up with the Fritz!box for that reason.

The Fritz!box's and Draytek's share the Lantiq chipsets and quite possibly the PSTN hardware.

Apart from my Gigaset N300IP setup I currently use, I've not found any decent device or router that combine POTS with VOIP without some form of echo problem. PBX built into routers seems to introduce a whole host of call quality issues, although it's interesting that earthing the network can have a positive effect.

• bagin
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jun 2021 09:26 #18 by bagin
Replied by bagin on topic Re: BX2000 - issues
Hi,
I know its an old thread but very on point with my experience in terms of poor line quality. I've tried DECT phone test and port earthing test all resulting in the same amount of background buzz, echo . No such issues on SIP connection or internal calls. Brand new open reach socket installed, no issues when DECT phone is plugged in directly to the phone line.
Has anyone found a solution to this?