DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860Vac for phones

• alexph
  • Topic Author
More
13 Apr 2018 10:54 #1 by alexph
2860Vac for phones was created by alexph
Hi. I am wondering if someone can help me on this.

At the moment we use our 2860Vac simply for internet access. We have a dedicated telephone line supplying our broadband, and this goes from the BT Master socket into the router; and we have a connection from the router to a switch, which is hardwired to various network points around the office for internet access. The BT master socket, router and switch are together in a cupboard, which is a little way from the office.

We want to try and make use the voice part of this telephone line. I have connected the telephone line from there BT master socket to the 'line' input on the router. I then plugged a telephone into the 'phones1/2' connection on the router and could make a call. The problem is that I cannot run a cable from the 'phones1/2' connection on the router to the office, so somehow I need to connect this to the switch, and then pick up the phone in the office at one of the spare network points. I hope this makes sense.

Can this be done, and if so how?

Many thanks

A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2018 15:22 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: 2860Vac for phones
It can't be done that way unfortunately - the 2860Vac router's integrated SIP ATA / FXS port is integral to the router and can't be passed to other SIP devices because it doesn't convert PSTN to SIP. You would need the VigorBX 2000 with its FXO ports to be able to run the line from that cabinet to the switch and to a VoIP handset.

Forum Administrator

• alexph
  • Topic Author
More
17 Apr 2018 19:02 #3 by alexph
Replied by alexph on topic Re: 2860Vac for phones
Right, thanks for that. From what you say, it would seem that there is no way we can use the router to get the PSTN line to the telephone handset. How exactly is the Phones1/2 port used?

Thanks

Alex

More
18 Apr 2018 09:32 #4 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: 2860Vac for phones

alexph wrote: How exactly is the Phones1/2 port used?

The idea is that a normal PSTN line goes into the Line port on the router. Then 1 or 2 telephones can be plugged into the phone ports and these can make / receive calls from the VoIP / SIP accounts configured on the router, or the PSTN line.

Forum Administrator

• alexph
  • Topic Author
More
18 Apr 2018 09:43 #5 by alexph
Replied by alexph on topic Re: 2860Vac for phones
Hi thanks for that.

I have a spare ethernet connection from my switch to the office. If I remade that using an RJ11 at both ends, plugged one end into the router Phones 1/2 and the phone in at the other end, would that work?

Thanks

Alex

More
18 Apr 2018 10:40 #6 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860Vac for phones
Yes, if you have CAT5/6 cabling you can use that to extend the phone ports but make sure you don't accidentally connect Ethernet/switches/PCs etc. to the phone ports.

Forum Administrator

Moderators: Sami