DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Vigor 2820n - Fails to get DHCP IP on Virgin Media

More
27 May 2009 11:08 #13 by mark_whitefield
Replied by mark_whitefield on topic 2820VN Issues with NTLTelewest
Hi,

I'm having issues with the 2820 series and NTLTelewest's business service on WAN2. WAN2 comes up and gives an IP of 192.168.0.3 with a default gateway of 192.168.0.1. Whatever I do I cannot get it to give me the real external IP address of this connection. Was thinking of updating the firmware on the router to F/W 3.3.1 (RC9/Beta) but notice it's a beta.
Anyone had issues with this?

Mark Whitefield.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2009 20:48 #14 by the pit
All I did to fix the issue was connect the virgin cable modem to 2nd Ethernet card. Then used the mac address of the card and entered that on wan2 and no problem after that.

More
05 Nov 2009 00:47 #15 by macavity
A lot of the info on here is quite old but I thought I'd add a useful tip that I've picked up.

If the router isn't picking up an IP Addres then it could be because the cable modem has still remembered the mac address of the previous device (ie your PC).

One way around this is to clone the mac address by manually specifying the MAC in the router WAN setup. However, I've found that this is not required by instead employing a much simpler solution that seems to work quite reliabily. That is to just turn off the cable modem from the mains (don't put it on standby by pressing the on/off button on the front) so that it forgets the MAC address.

More
12 Jan 2010 11:56 #16 by neilhome
Replied by neilhome on topic Does this help
I don't know if it helps at all (I am no IT expert) but we have the Vigor 2820VSN hooked uop to NTL cable via WAN2 and it's working wonderfully. We use the 192.168.19 range of IP addresses to avoid any conflicts and we pay for fixed (external) IP addresses from NTL - don't know if that makes a difference. The only problem we've had is repeated failure to synch offline files with a remote server - tried altering packet size limites etc - but this has now been solved by a "gem" from another user - - turned off UDP flood defence in the firewall settings, and that fixed it.

We love this router!

Neil Ryder

Moderators: Sami