Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Vigor 2820n - Fails to get DHCP IP on Virgin Media

• mazingtree
  • Topic Author
More
27 Apr 2008 01:50 #7 by mazingtree
Errors on the Scientific Atlantic Modem
Time Not Established Error (4) ToD request sent- No Response received
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Anyone know if these are "normal"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2008 02:41 #8 by spike.robinson
I do get those errors on my Virgin modem, but then my setup is not very normal as I don't have a working DHCP client on my router.

Might be interesting to hook your laptop up to the cable modem and see if those errors go away.

More
27 Apr 2008 10:13 #9 by louis-m
:(

2820 = 3.3.2_RC5
2950 = 3.2.4

• mazingtree
  • Topic Author
More
20 May 2008 18:33 #10 by mazingtree
Further to the above:

1. I have been working with Draytek support (R&D) and will post again if we get to the bottom of why this is happening.

So Far:
2. I have carried out a number of packet captures of the DHCP process. The Draytek router sends a DHCPDiscover broadcast with IP=0.0.0.0 after the modem has booted up, but the server fails to respond with a DHCP Offer to give me a public IP address.

3. Further testing with other devices - e.g. My Lenovo IBM T60 Laptop, Buffalo Router and a Cisco 871 Router all work fine and receive a DHCPOffer and consequently pick up an IP Address.

4. I can replay a packet from both the Draytek and the Cisco and on every occasion the Cisco gets a reply but the Draytek does not.

More
18 May 2009 15:32 #11 by andy666
i had a similar issue with virgin. draytek would get the initial dhcp (192.168) address from the virgin mode, but then fail getting an external address. i upgraded to 3.3.2_RC1 and this has resolved the issue.

• mazingtree
  • Topic Author
More
20 May 2009 00:05 #12 by mazingtree
The issue just suddenly went away for me. I don't think it was due to an upgraded fimware, but it's possible. At the time I had been trying various firmware, from Tech Support and also the latest versions. I reckon it could have been due to a problem with the Virgin Media that was resolved/changed, even hough it was only the 2820 Draytek router that was affected - Other routers, Cisco 870 series, Buffalo WGR-54G and Netgear WGR614 all worked everytime.

I had not had an issue before it started, then one day it wouldn't connect after several months of hassle it simply went away again!

Bizarre.

John

Moderators: Sami