DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dual Wan - SMTP

More
27 Jan 2009 13:00 #7 by dponzone
Replied by dponzone on topic Dual Wan - SMTP
Well, I have some comments about this.

First, about the default static route.
I checked on all the 2820s I have in production with 2 WAN up (running 3.2.1 or 3.3.0), and each time, the default route goes to WAN1 (even if WAN2 reconnected recently).
I used to think that it was the last WAN connected, but it seems the Vigor is not that smart.
The bad thing is that there is no way to put metrics on each WAN to alter this behaviour.
I found a way to force default to WAN2 that I am glad to share with you in case someone needs it.
You have to put 2 static routes to WAN2:
-to 0.0.0.1/128.0.0.0 (0.0.0.1 because the Vigor won't accept 0.0.0.0)
-to 128.0.0.0/128.0.0.0
You just splited the whole Internet into 2 halves :)

BUT:
be careful, it seems static routes are not volatile, meaning a static route stays in the routing table when the corresponding WAN goes down. Verrrry bad behaviour, I have a ticket opened about this.
On some routers, a such behaviour is configurable for each static route (something called persistent route or similar).

The good thing is that this can help James with his issue, as it means if you put a static route to your SMTP server through a WAN and the WAN goes down, the SMTP server should be unreachable.

Be careful again, because I suspect the load-balancing policies take precedence over static routing (to be confirmed).

The Vigor is a nice box, but it would be better if the bugs were removed, some basic features added, and a detailed documentation about the routing/LB algorithm provided.

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2009 08:47 #8 by paul_hood
Replied by paul_hood on topic Dual Wan - SMTP
Hi All,

I have a similar issue however this mail server (Small Business Server) sends out via DNS (we have all the relevant Forward/Reverse, Backup MX and SPF records in place).

Is there any way 'outbound' SMTP traffic can be directed to WAN1 / DSL Port.

(Running FW 3.3.0)

Regards,

Paul Hood

More
14 Jul 2009 18:43 #9 by andydob
Replied by andydob on topic SMTP load balancing
I have a similar situation to the above.

I have Virgin Media on WAN2 and Talk Talk on WAN1.

I want to send all SMTP email (TCP port 25) out via Virgin Media.

Will setting up the load balancing to TCP protocol and Dest Port Start = 25 and Dest Port End = 25 and leaving everything else blank do what I want?

More
06 Sep 2009 20:01 #10 by pete421
Replied by pete421 on topic Dual Wan - SMTP
Yes it does for me.

I have Virgin on Wan1 and Sky on Wan2.
I set up the load balancing:
TCP
Dest Port Start = 25
Dest Port End = 25
everything else blank

pete

Moderators: Sami