DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Load Balancing

More
20 Apr 2009 17:25 #7 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Load Balancing
Ideally the router connected to your WAN2 port will need to be in bridge mode.
If you can't do that, then you need to use a different subnet for the LAN side of router 2 (cisco?) that is connected to WAN2 of your 2820 - otherwise it will not know how to route properly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 08:39 #8 by gswhiteuk
Replied by gswhiteuk on topic Load Balancing

runningdeere wrote: Ideally the router connected to your WAN2 port will need to be in bridge mode.
If you can't do that, then you need to use a different subnet for the LAN side of router 2 (cisco?) that is connected to WAN2 of your 2820 - otherwise it will not know how to route properly.

Can you explain Bridge mode on 2nd router please? Bridge mode like a switch (layer 2). I have a 2820Vn as my main router with an 8Mbps DSL line with BT. I also have an 8Mbps line from O2, which has just been commissioned. I use a Netgear on this line.

If I set the Netgear to 192.168.1.0/24 and the Draytek has 192.168.0.0/24, and I apply an IP address and the default gateway of the router(netgear) on WAN2 I can not route between them. I can ping 192.168.1.254 which is the Netgear, but if I connect a computer to the Netgear I can not route to the Draytek network on 192.168.0.0/24.

I have tried enabling RIP2 on both Routers but still do not have any success.

So for now I have placed both routers on the same subnet, with different default gateways, and I salt and pepper my hosts to different default gateways manually, which is not optimal.

Anyone have any ideas were I could be going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

More
21 Apr 2009 09:11 #9 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Load Balancing
Bridge mode is known as 'Modem Only' mode on some routers.
I am not familiar with the netgear, so I can't tell you how to enable it.

What bridge mode does is turn off all the routing / firewall functions etc, and makes the router act just as a modem, therefore passing it's WAN IP address through to the Draytek. This avoids double NAT'ing etc and should simplify your setup.
Check the documentation / forums for the Netgear to find out how to put it in Bridge Mode.

More
21 Apr 2009 09:27 #10 by gswhiteuk

runningdeere wrote: Bridge mode is known as 'Modem Only' mode on some routers.
I am not familiar with the netgear, so I can't tell you how to enable it.

What bridge mode does is turn off all the routing / firewall functions etc, and makes the router act just as a modem, therefore passing it's WAN IP address through to the Draytek. This avoids double NAT'ing etc and should simplify your setup.
Check the documentation / forums for the Netgear to find out how to put it in Bridge Mode.

Thanks for the swift reply :)

I have another Draytek 2600 somewhere. Would that operate in Bridge mode, and still allow for access to the alternate internet connection?

thanks

More
21 Apr 2009 22:25 #11 by kevingb
Replied by kevingb on topic Load Balancing
The real question is how many public IP addresses do you have for your Netgear router? Ideally you should have ordered your O2 internet connection as a non-NAT configuration, with a pool of public IP adresses. The Netgear router would use one of it's pool of public IP addresses and allocate another one to the WAN2 port of the Draytek using DHCP. Your only private IP addresses would be on the LAN side of the Draytek. If you only have one public IP address for your Netgear router then you are probably going to have to run a double NAT configuration (because the Draytek will do NAT and then the Netgear router will do NAT again with traffic that is routed through it). It is possible with some routers to pass through a single IP address. This is known as 'half bridging' or 'DHCP spoofing.' You could look if your Netgear router supports this. My instinct would be that if you only have one public IP address for your O2 connection then you should go back to them and say that you need another public IP address and for their router to be in a non-NAT configuration (which would be pure bridging as per the other post).

Kevin

More
22 Apr 2009 09:17 #12 by gswhiteuk

KevinGB wrote: The real question is how many public IP addresses do you have for your Netgear router?

Kevin

Your correct there is one public address on each router. One on the BT DSL and One on the O2 DSL.

I am not sure how I go about getting another public address, but I am guessing it would be outside the remit of my normal DSL contract and would be at cost.

I have to say the setup is more confusing than I expected, and certainly more so than advertised by Draytek. The supplied documentation is sketchy at best regarding this implementation of loadbalancing.

I presumed you would be able to hook up your secondary ethernet from your alternate DSL router. Provide an IP address to that interface on the Dratek, and provide the default gateway of the 2nd router and your away.

Providing the two routers knew about each other's IP subnets via RIP or static routes everything should be ok. But it's not.

I am guessing that because the draytek has to control the routing for both, it needs to understand the routing and how it will intercept and deliver IP packets?

Also when reading on the web about the WAN2 port it is suggested you use PPOE pass-through on the draytek? If I had a secondary draytek on my O2 line, would this be PPOE passthrough on this router or the main router and would authentication be required between the two devices? I don't quite understand why PPOE would be needed for authentication, unless the ethernet connection between the two routers is classified as some sort of trunk?

Sorry for all the questions but there is no real guide to this and no FAQ to read to help understand the requirements and what you need to get this to work successfully.

Many thanks for information in advance.

Moderators: Sami