DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+

• ajay252
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jun 2009 12:23 #1 by ajay252
Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+ was created by ajay252
Customer has used this router with no problems for 2 years until Demon upgraded to ADSL2+.
Since Demon upgrade it locks up and has to be continually reset.
Modulation is set to ADSL ADSL2+ G992.5 as per previous posts by people who had issues.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2009 12:11 #2 by anwo
Replied by anwo on topic Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+
Also had problems with the 2800 VG and have bought a 2820 with less problems but still problems when connecting over 2 meg with huge amounts of CRC errors. No problems prior to the Demon ADSL 2+ "upgrade".

More
25 Jun 2009 14:16 #3 by jonyboy
Replied by jonyboy on topic Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+
I had to buy a new router when my exchange went 21CN as even though the 2800 says its ADSL2+, i understand that the chipset isn't compatible which is why they released the 2820 ?

I'd love to be proved wrong though....

More
29 Jun 2009 10:29 #4 by jmn
Replied by jmn on topic Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+
Initially had problems after the Demon upgrade. I also use a 2800VG which has worked perfectly since Jul 2006. Mostly failure to reconnect PPPoA after a re-SYNC. Reboot router is a bit drastic but works. Even better: telnet the router: adsl idle -- wait 10 secs -- adsl reboot. This does not reboot the whole router. I now run a UNIX script (Mac OS X 10.4.11) which senses if PPPoA is down, and then goes to telnet and does idle/reboot. Main problem: ADSL2+ SYNC is only about 4.4 Mbps whereas G.DMT SYNC is about 6.3 Mbps. Demon tell me that Cable and Wireless engineers are looking at this. At the moment, I use G.DMT and not ADSL2+

Question: Has anyone else seen significantly lower ADSL2+ SYNC speed compared to G.DMT?

John

JMN

More
29 Jun 2009 19:01 #5 by jonyboy
Replied by jonyboy on topic Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+
I sync @ 5747 Kbps with my Linksys WAG160N
I sync @ 416 kbps with my Draytek 2800g (both ADSL2+ and D.GMT)
(Draytek firmware v.2.8.2 E.38.2.23)

Regards
Jonathan

jmn wrote: Initially had problems after the Demon upgrade. I also use a 2800VG which has worked perfectly since Jul 2006. Mostly failure to reconnect PPPoA after a re-SYNC. Reboot router is a bit drastic but works. Even better: telnet the router: adsl idle -- wait 10 secs -- adsl reboot. This does not reboot the whole router. I now run a UNIX script (Mac OS X 10.4.11) which senses if PPPoA is down, and then goes to telnet and does idle/reboot. Main problem: ADSL2+ SYNC is only about 4.4 Mbps whereas G.DMT SYNC is about 6.3 Mbps. Demon tell me that Cable and Wireless engineers are looking at this. At the moment, I use G.DMT and not ADSL2+

Question: Has anyone else seen significantly lower ADSL2+ SYNC speed compared to G.DMT?

John

More
16 Jul 2009 15:47 #6 by mwra
Replied by mwra on topic Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+

jmn wrote: Reboot router is a bit drastic but works. Even better: telnet the router: adsl idle -- wait 10 secs -- adsl reboot. This does not reboot the whole router. I now run a UNIX script (Mac OS X 10.4.11) which senses if PPPoA is down, and then goes to telnet and does idle/reboot.

Any chance of sharing that script? I understand the principles but hew no real command line scripting expertise.

I'm using a 2800VG with firmware E.38.2.23, and with PPOE modulation "ADSL2+ Auto(G.992.5)". I originally had to move to 2.8.2 as the Macs on my mixed LAN were having connection problems (so downgrading firmware not an option). Modulation changed on advice from Demon since service update but I find every 2-4 days I loose connection. I've been re-booting but the above sounds a simpler method. If necessary, I can telent for Macs or PCs here.

I'm in Portsmouth and probably close to my exchange. currently I'm seeing up speed of 863900 and down speed of 15524000. In tests I'm getting download speeds of c.10M and 0.4M for upload.

Thanks

Moderators: Sami