DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+

More
16 Jul 2009 15:54 #7 by jmn
Replied by jmn on topic Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+
"Any chance of sharing the script?"

Sure - no problem. It's probably easiest if you would let me know your email address and then I can send you a couple of attachments...

John

JMN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2009 08:43 #8 by jmn
After numerous discussions with Demon about why SYNC on ADSL2+ with a DrayTek 2800VG was so much slower than SYNC with G.DMT (~4 Mbps vs. ~6 Mbps) I was asked by Demon to try another router. Demon sent me a Thomson SpeedTouch 585v7. This URL

http://www.rmnjmn.demon.co.uk/DrayTek/Data_23Jul09

shows a 72 hour comparison between the two routers on ADSL2+. This clearly shows that the Speedtouch (cost £35) outpaces the 2800VG (cost £150 in July 2006) by a wide margin. As a result, further discussions with Demon are at an end. The problem is definitely in DrayTek's court - I hope it doesn't take too long to get a solution from them. (I have passed this URL to DrayTek technical support.)

John

JMN

More
28 Jul 2009 10:42 #9 by kevinj
Replied by kevinj on topic Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+
Is it possible to use the Demon-supplied router/modem to connect to the internet and then connect the Vigor as a router only, thus keeping the benefits of both? I ask as a non-techie because I am with Demon and have a Vigor 2600plus which doesn't support ADSL2+ (Demon will let me have their modem/router for free but it doesn' t have a print server thus the desire to keep my very reliable Vigor).

More
28 Jul 2009 11:04 #10 by jmn
"Is it possible to use the Demon-supplied router/modem to connect to the internet and then connect the Vigor as a router only?"

A solution to this was given to me by "stuey" in this thread:

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=56400&highlight=#56400

However, it is necessary that the DrayTek router has two WAN ports which my 2800VG does not have, and, I suspect, neither does the 2600 (I also have a 2600We and bought the 2800VG (July 2006) in anticipation of ADSL2+). The latest version in the 2800 series is the 2820 which the solution in this thread is intended for.

John

JMN

More
09 Aug 2009 11:09 #11 by engdev
Replied by engdev on topic Draytek 2800vg & Demon ADSL2+
Hi John,

I am also having trouble with my 2800VG locking up so would be interested in trying your script if you don't mind sharing it?
thanks

John

More
10 Aug 2009 15:13 #12 by jmn
Hi John (engdev)...Here are two shell scripts you can try. I use a different scheme now but this requires an snmp client which I wrote and is too complex to post here. The first script wakes up every 5 minutes to see if the PPPoA link is up or down. If the PPPoA connection is down it executes the second script which you must edit to insert the appropriate password for your router. You need to get snmpget (see http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/) on to your computer. Sometimes it takes two attempts to re-sync. Try it and let me know if it helps. John

Script 1: monitor_PPPoA.sh
#! /bin/sh
# Script to get information about Gateway Address which will only be valid
# if PPPoA is active. If not active, then reboot adsl
loop=1
echo "Monitoring PPPoA connection every 5 minutes..."
while [ $loop -eq 1 ]
do
snmpget -v 2c -c public 192.168.1.1 ipRouteNextHop.0.0.0.0 | awk '{ print $3 }' > check_PPPoA
exec < check_PPPoA
read string
if [ $string != "IpAddress:" ]
then
echo " "
date | awk '{ print $2 " " $3 " " $4 }'
echo "$string. PPPoA is down. Attempting to re-establish link"
exec reboot.sh | telnet
sleep 20
snmpget -v 2c -c public 192.168.1.1 ifSpeed.4 | awk '{ print $4 }' > newSync
exec < newSync
read string
date | awk '{ print $2 " " $3 " " $4 }'
echo "New SYNC rate: $string"
fi
sleep 300
done

Script 2: reboot.sh (NB edit this to insert your router's password)
#!/bin/sh
# Script to pass to telnet to cause router to re-sync
host=192.168.1.1
port=23
passwd=xxxxxxx
cmd1="adsl idle"
cmd2="adsl reboot"
cmd3="quit"

echo open $host $port
sleep 1
echo $passwd
sleep 1
echo $cmd1
sleep 20
echo $cmd2
sleep 5
echo $cmd3
sleep 1

JMN

Moderators: Sami