DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setting up vpn on vista system

• havering
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jun 2009 11:45 #1 by havering
Setting up vpn on vista system was created by havering
I am struggling to find any information on configuring a Vista Home Premium pc as a VPN server to work with a Draytek 2820 router. I would greatly appreciate any advice available (as detailed as possible please).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2009 17:21 #2 by andypcarpenter
Replied by andypcarpenter on topic Setting up vpn on vista system
Hi,

Are you trying to setup the Draytek to deal with the VPN serving for you (bad idea in my experience) or are you trying to setup the Vista machine to be the VPN server and the Draytek is just acting as a VPN passthrough?

If you are trying to use anything built into the Windows operating system then it will only allow single user connections unless you upgrade to a Server version.

I would recommend OpenVPN if you are looking for a VPN server/client package.

http://www.openvpn.org

Hope that helps,

Andy.

• havering
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jun 2009 18:03 #3 by havering
Replied by havering on topic setting up vpn on vista system
Andy, many thanks for your reply. I understood that the 2820 allows 32 concurrent sessions.
Surely OpenVPN is not designed for Windows Op Sys servers?

More
25 Jun 2009 21:38 #4 by andypcarpenter
Hi,

OpenVPN runs on either Linux or Windows. I use it to connect about 40 Windows clients into a single Linux server behind a Draytek router through one port. Works fine as the Linux box has all the ip forwarding stuff you need out of the box. You can run the OpenVPN server on either Linux or Windows.

Best regards,

Andy.

• havering
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jun 2009 23:18 #5 by havering
Replied by havering on topic Open Vpn Query
Sorry Andy, I still cannot see how I can use Open Vpn as a server technology on a Vista system. I copied the following from the OpenVpn.Org FAQ page: Which operating systems can be used to host the Access Server software?

Currently, the Access Server software must be run on a Linux host. The software is released in the form of binary package files for particular Linux distributions. At this time, RPM packages are released for hosts running 32-bit amd 64-bit installations of CentOS 4, 5 or Fedora 8, 9, 10, and Debian packages are released for hosts running 32-bit and 64-bit installations of Ubuntu 8, 9.
Support for RedHat Enterprise Linux is coming soon. Additional Unix platforms may be supported in the future.

Last Updated ( Wednesday, 24 June 2009 00:10 )

I know that the client software will work on a Windows system but I am stuck with Vista for the server.

More
25 Jun 2009 23:24 #6 by andypcarpenter
So that's progress for you. They've gone all up market like VNC, etc. I've just looked at the website - it's not the one I got all the source code from last year. You could (or so I was led to believe) compile the source and run it under cygwin (unix for windows)

You could always use VMWare and install a Linux OS on that.

Sorry for leading you up a dead end.

Best regards,

Andy.

Moderators: Sami