2820vn Annex M

• busta999
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2009 17:36 #7 by busta999
Replied by busta999 on topic 2820vn Annex M
Nope no difference, ISP has Interleaving OFF and SNR at 6db, Annex A

G.992.5 annexM SHOWTIME 1353000 4821000 6 49

I have raised a ticket with support to see if there is something I am supposed to change in the setup of the Draytek apart from selecting ADSL2 + Annex M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2009 17:40 #8 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 2820vn Annex M

Busta999 wrote: ah ha,

I have set it up and the Draytek is reporting G.992.5 annexM but the upstream has gone down to 1300 and the downstream has gone down from 5700 to 4800.

My ISP shows I am connected at Annex A and interleaving is on. I'll try turning it off and turning Annex M again, the last two times it reverted to Annex A.

If you turn on Annexe M, then your downstream speed will drop, because it uses some of the downstream frequencies to increase your upstream speed.
Because of this, Annexe M HAS to be enabled at the exchange by your ISP, or you will get a slower connection than Annexe A

You really want interleaving on, as this makes the connection much more reliable. With interleaving off (known as fastpath) there is not as much error correction, so it is only suitable for very good quality lines.

If you are only getting a down speed of 5700 on ADSL2+ then Annexe M is not worth your while. You are unlikely to see any increase in upload speed, and at the cost of some of your download speed.

• busta999
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2009 18:22 #9 by busta999
Replied by busta999 on topic 2820vn Annex M
Runningdeere Thanks

I had turned on Annex M at the ISP but it was not sticking.

I have reverted to ADSL2+ and now get

ADSL2+(G.992.5) SHOWTIME 1137000 6165000 6 44

Which is Ok, I am going to try moving the Router to the BT Master switch in the house and see how that does.

If it improves I may get that Master Switch add that Broadbandbuyer are flogging for £8 that is supposed to improved broadband speeds.

Also I have turned interleaving back on.

Thanks again.

More
08 Jul 2009 19:27 #10 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 2820vn Annex M

Busta999 wrote:
If it improves I may get that Master Switch add that Broadbandbuyer are flogging for £8 that is supposed to improved broadband speeds.

If you mean the BT I-Plate then forget it. You are better off going to ADSLNation and getting a filtered faceplate from them, and removing the ring wire from your master socket and all extensions (search the web)

Moderators: Sami