DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2930 load balancing help , 20meg and 10meg connections..

• chrisbrown
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jul 2009 09:56 #1 by chrisbrown
i now have two connections running into my router but when i try and utilise both in the likes of torrents i dont see any increased speed i have tried the load balancing policys according to line speed and auto weight but none seem to give me higher than the 20meg line

although it does appear that both modems are being used in the online status page

anyone any pointers for me in setting this up correctly ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chrisbrown
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jul 2009 15:52 #2 by chrisbrown
do the draytek guys offer any guidance ?

More
23 Jul 2009 17:31 #3 by paulj48
Not sure you can do what you want. Having your 2 connections running through a router is NOT the same as a bonded service. You will have 2 different public IP addresses and most software wont be able to use both at the same time.

The only time you'll see an increase in speed is if you have more than one PC on the network, each using different connections.

• chrisbrown
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jul 2009 21:38 #4 by chrisbrown
im pretty sure you can use drayteks to do this

some newzbin programs can download from seperate servers at once and combine the speeds all through a draytek as i have read of someone else doing the same

i dont know if i have to set ports or ip's or anythin documentation is very scarce

More
24 Jul 2009 09:49 #5 by paulj48

chrisbrown wrote: im pretty sure you can use drayteks to do this

some newzbin programs can download from seperate servers at once and combine the speeds all through a draytek as i have read of someone else doing the same

The trouble with what you describe above is that your news provider will see your account being accessed from 2 different IP's at the same time. I dont think any news providers will allow this.

Only way I can think of you testing this is to setup your newsprovider twice in your news client each using a different port number. Go to the WAN- Load Balance Policy on your Draytek and direct one port to WAN1 and the other port to WAN2

• chrisbrown
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2009 10:20 #6 by chrisbrown
hi paul thanks for the info , there is a couple of news hosts that allow this , mainly the ones that have servers in the eu and usa

i had a news server recently but they changed there terms of service an annoyed alot of people , aswell as jacking the price up !

i have been told that torrents are simpler but i cant seem to get my head round how it would work , and the forum i seen it on doesnt like you asking about it as they will assume because you have two connections you are stealing service from vm

where infact im using our garage which we got registered as a studio house that i use for a gym and games room , and i would like to takje advantage that our other subscription package was bumbed upto 10meg for free by combining it with my current 20meg in the house

its more of an experiment for fun than anything else , iv read it can be done and it appeals to me , i would also like to right up a guide if i find out how to do it

but ofcourse , i need to find out how to do it :)

Moderators: Sami