DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2710N Poor sync speeds.

• csutcliff
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jul 2009 18:35 #1 by csutcliff
2710N Poor sync speeds. was created by csutcliff
Hi, I have an adsl2+ line that previously had a netgear dg834n (before it stopped working) and currently a netgear DG834 v4 both these routers connect at 3716kbps downstream, 888kbps upstream.

My new Vigor 2710N arrived today but when I use it my down sync speed drops to 2168kbps (with a low SNR too, upsteam not affected), going back to the 2nd netgear results in the normal sync again.

I have been told many times that draytek routers are second to none, seems they might be wrong...

any ideas on how to fix this? (fyi my firmware is newer than the one offered for download)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2009 19:25 #2 by rhubarb
Replied by rhubarb on topic 2710N Poor sync speeds.
Hi

I'm very pleased with the sync speeds with my new V2710 so don't give up yet.

I'm on ADSL2+ with O2 who use Broadcom DSLAMs and the general consensus is that routers with Broadcom chipsets are best suited for O2 and give the best sync speeds (O2 provide a router with a BC chipset). Until recently, I was using a V2700G which synced very slightly lower than a BC modem but was more stable (it stayed synced for months).

The V2710N syncs higher than the V2700 and also higher than the Speedtouch BC router provided by O2 so I'm happy.

It could be that you have a problem somewhere. Does the Online Status screen show that you are connected at ADSL2+ (G.992.5)? Telnet into the router and do an 'adsl status', the DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR will be shown at the bottom and is represented by a code (BDCM for Broadcom), this might give a clue.

Andy

• csutcliff
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jul 2009 12:40 #3 by csutcliff
Replied by csutcliff on topic 2710N Poor sync speeds.
Code:
admin> adsl status adsl status --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- Running Mode : ADSL2(G.992.3) State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 2270000 bps US Actual Rate : 720000 bps DS Attainable Rate : 4496000 bps US Attainable Rate : 720000 bps DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave NE Current Attenuation : 51 dB Cur SNR Margin : 7 dB DS actual PSD : 17. 4 dB US actual PSD : 12. 6 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 211801_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 31 dB Far SNR Margin : 9 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 0000544e DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

it says that it's only adsl2 (maybe that's right, i just assumed that the new 21CN connections are adsl2+)

on a side note the upload speed has now also dropped.[/quote]

More
30 Jul 2009 16:37 #4 by rhubarb
Replied by rhubarb on topic 2710N Poor sync speeds.
What type of connection does the Netgear show (ADSL2 or 2+)?

The DSLAM is Infineon which is the same vendor as the chipset in the V2710, you'd expect it to be ideally suited. Might be a good question for Draytek support: Why does Broadcom chipset Netgear work better with an Infineon DSLAM than an Infineon chipset V2710?

Andy

More
31 Jul 2009 09:08 #5 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2710N Poor sync speeds.
It's just that Multimode modulation has detected the modulation wrongly, set it to ADSL2+ (G.992.5) manually in the PPPoA setup page and it should sync normally?

• csutcliff
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jul 2009 10:37 #6 by csutcliff
Replied by csutcliff on topic 2710N Poor sync speeds.
I've just tried manually setting adsl2+ rather than multimode, It now takes a long time to connect and still ends up with adsl2 :roll:

I also checked the netgear and it connects at adsl2+.

Moderators: Sami